Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
So ever since I took my first plunge into water detecting 2 years ago, I have thought about this particular location and it has literally haunted me every day up until a couple days ago. I have been a certified diver for 18 years but did not own any more than the basics for diving (gloves, boots, mask, snorkel, fins, etc) and of course my AT Pro which can only go 10' deep. So in the last 2 years I set out on a mission to acquire everything I would need to get down to this spot and collect all the years and years of loot. I since have purchased 2 wetsuits, regulators, BCD, bottles and a new Excalibur II for this occasion. Man I will tell you, I have had dreams of grandeur about this place. I could just imagine all the gold chains, rings and glorious treasure just laying on the bottom. I knew that if I was able to get down there, my finds from this one dive would surely make the banner.

Well the day came. About 30'-40' depth I reached the bottom with the Excal II in hand....beer cans EVERYWHERE!:BangHead: Along with every other type of trash imaginable. The detector was useless. It would take a week just to clean the visible trash enough to use the detector. Uggh, I was bummed.

Not letting this ruin my motivation, I hit another location near the first but before doing so spoke to a lady that lives in the area. She mentioned to me that the lake level gets dropped each year ALOT.:BangHead: So there went my dreams....I instantly knew that each year the local scavengers could hike down to these locations and simply pick the loot off of the ground. Man, was I bummed.

So in hopes of salvaging my sanity, I decided to go to a popular swim area and dive down and detect the swim float area as well as the end of the dock that many people dive from. Fortunately, it turned out a little better. The finds you see here are from those last few dives. All silver, no gold....I ain't done yet! 8-)

Take care everyone.

IMG_20160814_101915.jpg IMG_20160814_100620.jpg IMG_20160814_094844.jpg IMG_20160814_095927.jpg IMG_20160814_095805.jpg IMG_20160814_094259.jpg

Upvote 0

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Ah! You're just feeding my urge to take scuba classes for certification and buying all the equipment needed! I've been thinking about that for months. I also figure it will be mighty darned expensive!

Great finds, and I know there will be more for you!

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife and I have been talking about going and hunting some under water treasures but we're sticking to shallow water rivers because she's never been diving before.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have the equipment that it takes to hunt outside the 'box'. Plus, the knowledge, to do it. That to me is very interesting and
you can now plan for hitting many different areas of your choice. Very Cool !!!!

HH

Dennis

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
been treasure diving since early 90s, and have found 95 percent of my gold wading in chest deep, the further out the more beer cans, muck, and fewer small targets. diving is fun, but wading is where the gold is. just look where people spend most of there time at the beach

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
You did Great, and all is in the very early stages of learning so as time goes you will learn more and more, and get better and better............I have to say diving is on my bucket list of Learns also. I think scubadiver is the perfect example of the best you can be when going under.

OP
OP
The Urban Prospector

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Ah! You're just feeding my urge to take scuba classes for certification and buying all the equipment needed! I've been thinking about that for months. I also figure it will be mighty darned expensive!

Great finds, and I know there will be more for you!

You might be surprised at how affordable it actually can be. Keep an eye out in Craigslist for deals. Just be sure to have everything you buy checked out by a reputable dive shop. You also can rent everything you need after your certified

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
You might be surprised at how affordable it actually can be. Keep an eye out in Craigslist for deals. Just be sure to have everything you buy checked out by a reputable dive shop. You also can rent everything you need after your certified

I just just did a local search for classes and certification, and the page said total cost was $275. That's really not as bad as I expected.

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
You did Great, and all is in the very early stages of learning so as time goes you will learn more and more, and get better and better............I have to say diving is on my bucket list of Learns also. I think scubadiver is the perfect example of the best you can be when going under.

he does find good stuff, but also is kinda crazy, no offense, but i would not dive most the places he dives haha, and he works his butt off for sure

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Ok. It's probably been said. But depending on the beer can age. It basically confirms that no one did it yet. I know it's a lot of work but use gps and grid area down there. I bet it's loaded. Don't get hurt doing it. I have a dozen spots like this one that I know have stuff. But I'm not certified nor do I have the equipment. I say go clean the place out. In one find it could all pay off. Hh gl -joe

So ever since I took my first plunge into water detecting 2 years ago, I have thought about this particular location and it has literally haunted me every day up until a couple days ago. I have been a certified diver for 18 years but did not own any more than the basics for diving (gloves, boots, mask, snorkel, fins, etc) and of course my AT Pro which can only go 10' deep. So in the last 2 years I set out on a mission to acquire everything I would need to get down to this spot and collect all the years and years of loot. I since have purchased 2 wetsuits, regulators, BCD, bottles and a new Excalibur II for this occasion. Man I will tell you, I have had dreams of grandeur about this place. I could just imagine all the gold chains, rings and glorious treasure just laying on the bottom. I knew that if I was able to get down there, my finds from this one dive would surely make the banner.

Well the day came. About 30'-40' depth I reached the bottom with the Excal II in hand....beer cans EVERYWHERE!:BangHead: Along with every other type of trash imaginable. The detector was useless. It would take a week just to clean the visible trash enough to use the detector. Uggh, I was bummed.

Not letting this ruin my motivation, I hit another location near the first but before doing so spoke to a lady that lives in the area. She mentioned to me that the lake level gets dropped each year ALOT.:BangHead: So there went my dreams....I instantly knew that each year the local scavengers could hike down to these locations and simply pick the loot off of the ground. Man, was I bummed.

So in hopes of salvaging my sanity, I decided to go to a popular swim area and dive down and detect the swim float area as well as the end of the dock that many people dive from. Fortunately, it turned out a little better. The finds you see here are from those last few dives. All silver, no gold....I ain't done yet! 8-)

Take care everyone.

View attachment 1348295 View attachment 1348296 View attachment 1348298 View attachment 1348299 View attachment 1348300 View attachment 1348301

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did very well IMO! I have been certified for 28 years and just started dive detecting about 2 years ago. It's a whole other animal when you throw the detecting into the diving ring! I don't recommend anyone just go get certified and start trying to combine both the next day! It takes many hours of bottom time to really get proficient at diving SAFELY!
I went to a local swimming hole with dreams of gold and silver coins much like you did. What I found was a bunch of trash, beer cans, boat parts etc. the visibility can go from 2-3' to 2" after a few fans with your hands. I actually find hunting in a river or spring to be much easier because of the current constantly clearing the water so you are able to see what you are doing.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I actually find hunting in a river or spring to be much easier because of the current constantly clearing the water so you are able to see what you are doing.

This was one of my concerns. There's a spot here, a diving platform out in the lake. It is rumored there are at least two divers who come in every year and search around that platform. The bottom is red mud, and even in wading you lose the visibility with the first scoop.

And then when I think about it, it requires a whole different set of tools and methods. I'd imagine first time out = utter frustration.

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
Ok. It's probably been said. But depending on the beer can age. It basically confirms that no one did it yet. I know it's a lot of work but use gps and grid area down there. I bet it's loaded. Don't get hurt doing it. I have a dozen spots like this one that I know have stuff. But I'm not certified nor do I have the equipment. I say go clean the place out. In one find it could all pay off. Hh gl -joe

diving is different, a lot of times there is soooo many beer cans and bottles you can not possibly carry them out safely, so you run the detector over it, know its a beer can, and move on to smaller targets. I have almost drown getting to weighted down with garbage

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was one of my concerns. There's a spot here, a diving platform out in the lake. It is rumored there are at least two divers who come in every year and search around that platform. The bottom is red mud, and even in wading you lose the visibility with the first scoop.

And then when I think about it, it requires a whole different set of tools and methods. I'd imagine first time out = utter frustration.

I have used the excal, cz-21 and a DetectorPro Headhunter UW while diving and honestly the little Detector Pro with 8" coil is the easiest to use. It's very small and doesn't try to float up while you are fanning around for targets. And it fits in one hand very easily almost like using a big pinpointer.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
been treasure diving since early 90s, and have found 95 percent of my gold wading in chest deep, the further out the more beer cans, muck, and fewer small targets. diving is fun, but wading is where the gold is. just look where people spend most of there time at the beach

I will gladly disagree with you. In fresh water which usually doesn't fluctuate much, gold and silver are mainly over the waders heads. I prove it year after year. Nobody can touch my finds or success here in Michigan while wading. Sure you find the newer rings and coins. However my finds speak for themselves I am in 6 - 8 foot of water finding silver and gold and lots of it. Every year the same results.

A lake last year I stumbled upon had absolutely nothing in wading water. Not a peep out of my detector. Waders with detectors have hammered it. Out deeper we pulled up 19 gold rings in one weekend. Didn't count the silver. My newest class ring out of that lake was 1911.

This year I have been hitting one spot almost exclusively. I promised the waders I would stay out of their area and I do. Look at my posts under Today's Finds. 37 pieces of gold and over 400 pieces of silver including 18 half dollars. This is all in less than three months. I will have a picture of everything after the season ends.

Back in the old days people didn't have TV, computers, or air conditioners. If they were around water they swam and went over their heads. Swim platforms were in most every lake state park. Now with lawsuits they are all gone.

You waders can have your spots. I will go over your head most the time and clean up big time.

IF I was the OP. I would go back down and clean up all the cans and bottles and play with the detector. Pick up everything and not be discouraged. Stuff is hiding under all that trash. And I could care less if it is muck. I love diving for what I am finding. My best year was 72 gold rings in inland lakes here in Michigan. I found 24 on one 4 day weekend again over waders heads.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I have used the excal, cz-21 and a DetectorPro Headhunter UW while diving and honestly the little Detector Pro with 8" coil is the easiest to use. It's very small and doesn't try to float up while you are fanning around for targets. And it fits in one hand very easily almost like using a big pinpointer.

I have the CZ-21 hip-mounted. Both the 8 and 10.5" coil versions. I also have a Tiger Shark with interchangeable coils and I have both. Neither float and are very easy to use. I have been doing this since the year 2000.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
he does find good stuff, but also is kinda crazy, no offense, but i would not dive most the places he dives haha, and he works his butt off for sure

CRAZY?? Now that is a new one!! I think you are talking about me diving in 4' of water where boats anchor? Maybe I am off track. Some people think I have no rights. I disagree. I dive during the week when less boaters anchor and party. I never dive in busy places on weekends. I also dive during rain and thunderstorms to be away from boats. However BOATERS need to know the LAWS and KNOW what a dive flag is.

I can also dive in zero visibility water. I am used to it. I am comfortable with my knowledge, my safety equipment and my ability. WATER KILLS. I never panic and my experience lets me do things others can't or won't. I go out relax and have fun. It is one of the only things I enjoy since I am disabled and in pain. Diving helps a lot with the pain and detecting keeps my mind off of it.

My finds speak for themselves. I am not better than anyone. I just enjoy what I do and I make the most of it. If I get killed diving, I will die doing something I love.

Last edited:

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
diving is different, a lot of times there is soooo many beer cans and bottles you can not possibly carry them out safely, so you run the detector over it, know its a beer can, and move on to smaller targets. I have almost drown getting to weighted down with garbage

Why get weighted down with garbage? Take down the very cheap laundry mesh bags and fill them up. Then take them one by one to the surface and attach them to your float. Bottles do not set off the detector unless they have that stupid metal ring on them for an aluminum cap. I put them open side down in the river and lakes so I know I have found them before. The large pieces of metal like pipes and flat iron, I just also stand on end and leave it. Too heavy and bulky for me. Cans, can tops, and nails I take everything.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread