Finding Treasures!

Diltsy

Dec 17, 2007
Ok so you've heard the story... and you have talked to all of the people you can think of... you've done the research and you have your location pinpointed down to a general area... but now what? Ive been reading a lot on this website and there are a lot of great things, and I am glad to of come across it. The average metal detector can only detect so deep... what are some treasure finding techniques? I don't have the money to spend on expensive equipment, in fact I don't even have a metal detector yet! (i'm working on it. It's hard to find one. As soon as I find a good model in my price range someone on here has some negative comments on it! I guess that goes with any large hobby group everyone has an opinion of their own. And yes i was thinking about the 150 and 250 model garretts) So this is my question for the experts, This particular treasure or cache was left by a man that intended on coming back for it. I would assume that he would bury it fairly deep if he was planning on leaving for awhile and then coming back. I'm not sure if this matters but this was in 1812, and he was later killed in the war leaving his cache still buried. What do I do to start my search?? How did they hunt back when we didn't have this technology?? Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated, and if i decide to pursue this I will definitely keep you all posted! Thanks in advance,
Diltsy

K

Kentucky Kache

Keep reading the story. Unless it's a story only a few lines long I'm willing to bet there are clues you are overlooking. Research all you can find on the man, the treasure, the location (including maps). Put everything in a folder and study it like a school book. The more you study, the little things will start to jump out at you, and you'll be able to put the clues together. Stay interested in what you're doing.

I would use any detector I could get, but get the largest coil you can find and hunt in all metal mode (No discrimination). Use head phones and listen for the faintest of signals.

Go for it, man, go for it. ;)

OP
OP
D

Diltsy

Dec 17, 2007
Thanks for such a quick reply! wow I'm really surprised, such a great forum. Anyway great advice thank you I just want to add a little more. I found this story on a historic website. The story was fairly brief, and the more I read it... like you said more things popped out at me and that is how I figured out the location(the person who wrote the article didn't just come out an say where it was). That puts me in a general area. He did mention across a bridge, well there are two in the same area but I narrowed it down by reading the story over(like you said things start to pop out at you) Now he always mentions a building(tavern/inn) which is no longer there. I plan on going to the local library to try and find a map of the area to find the location of the building because that has a great deal of info on the location... to help narrow it down. Also i contacting the website owner to try to get contact with the author of the story, but he said he had lost contact... so i took it into my own hands to try and use a few sites to look him up and what do you know there is only one person in all of the world with his name. I'm a little hesitant to call...with all of this I feel I can pinpoint fairly close to where it is but what I really need is some info on exactly how to locate it underground. If I were a man leaving all my money somewhere I would most likely bury it deep... so i am afraid I wont be able to find it with a metal detector. What about infrared? I know it is expensive but I remember seeing a place you could rent them...what about dowsing? I know a lot of people don't believe in it here but i am a plumbing apprentice and when my boss told me he could find the water main with two coat hangers i laughed... I am a VERY skeptical person, but sure as #@!$%#@! he found it!! I was really breath taken by it. Anyway I'm rambling. I am going to post the story up and draw a map for everyone to take their own guesses on it but I have to be heading out, I will probably post the map and story later on tonight,
Diltsy
p.s. this is my first time posting (well second....) if i'm doing anything wrong please inform me!!!

S

stefen

How did they hunt back when we didn't have this technology??

Simple, first they probably looked for disturbed soil areas or settlement of the soil.

Secondly, the may have used steel rods to probe the soil, and lastly, they may have dug numerous holes.

And if they had specific directions, may have walked right up to the spot, dug whatever it was up, and left.

...Dig all signals...(it was hidden between the Jbots lines)

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Very interesting story.

If this man had a heavy chest, he would not have gone very far from the inn to bury it simply due to the weight of it. He probably buried it near a landmark that he could easily identify when he returned. Large rock or tree for instance.

Hope you find it. Let us know.

Ray S.

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the ace 250 is a great detector ,the best in the price range you will find.it out performs some of my more expensive detectors regularly.and even if you dont find the cache it will pay for itself if you use it.i haven't had mine long and it has almost paid for itself.once it does start saving for a more expensive one if you like ,give it to your wife,or kids,or let your friend use it .it will pay for the other one too.i'm no math wiz but a detector that is reliable,pays for itself,easy to use.,and out performs more expensive units .can't be a bad move.p.s. look on here check out what other people find,what they used and you will see a lot of people use and find a lot with them.also read the reviews.if that don't convince you go to annual finds 2007 look up crack badger.see what he uses.some people might not like the ace maybe they spent to much for what they bought ???or they have regrets.... :o

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would suggest NOT contacting the author of that story. He may have held back some info, and your call would only alert him to review his own files and make him a competitor for the cache.

Using probing rods is a viable method. KVM used a tail bolt from a log wagon to hunt for and find his first treasures in an old immigrant campground close to Ft. Kearney, Nebraska. He said that the very best tool for treasure hunting was your "noodle'.

My personal opinion about dowsing is that it works, but you must BELIEVE that it'll work or you'll be wasting you time with it. No joking intended; just fact.

As Ray S. has pointed out; long term burials were often keyed off of some landmark that could not be moved easily while the owner was away from the area. I would add to Ray's suggestions any nearby USGS survey markers. These markers were placed by the government surveyors and meant to be as permanent as possible. Some were even cemented into the tops of large rock outcroppings. So, check USGS maps of the area for survey monuments. They're always marked on the maps with the capital letters "BM" and a large "+" and a corresponding number. KVM mentioned a recovery by an acquaintance that was a certain number of steps away from a BM in a mountain pass in California (or Colorado, I can't remember for sure).

Anyway, good luck and good hunting. If you find the cache, DON'T TELL ANYONE; including here on TNet. Just quietly pay the taxes on it to keep the govt off your back and enjoy the rest on a low key basis.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As soon as I find a good model in my price range someone on here has some negative comments on it! I guess that goes with any large hobby group everyone has an opinion of their own.

Amen to that. There's more written sabotage going on among detectorists than finds posts it sometimes seems.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread