Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like it! My family is originally from Norway....hook me up brother! :icon_thumright:

Beste Hilsen, Erik

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that coin is fantastic. I don't know much about Viking age coins but I know that coin is in great shape for an old coin.
Could you please post some pictures of the coin and keep us updated on what you find out about it?
Thanks and congrats.
ZDD

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are the laws like in Norway regarding metal detecting ?, I guess I heard that people were not allowed to bring detectors
into some Scandinavian countries because of the potential for finding Viking treasures (national treasures )

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are the laws like in Norway regarding metal detecting ?, I guess I heard that people were not allowed to bring detectors
into some Scandinavian countries because of the potential for finding Viking treasures (national treasures )

The following site has info on many European and Scandinavian countries.

Law

"
NORWAY
Section 4 of the Cultural Heritage Act 1978 lists a wide range of specified objects, both fixed and movable, dating from before 1937 which are protected.

Section 3 also provides protection from unauthorised excavation. The ownership of all objects older than 1537 and of coins older that 1650 is vested in the State (Section 12, a and b). Section 13 requires that all finds should be reported to the authorities who will fix a suitable reward. There is no specific reference to metal detectors. "

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Law

"
NORWAY
Section 4 of the Cultural Heritage Act 1978 lists a wide range of specified objects, both fixed and movable, dating from before 1937 which are protected.

Section 3 also provides protection from unauthorised excavation. The ownership of all objects older than 1537 and of coins older that 1650 is vested in the State (Section 12, a and b). Section 13 requires that all finds should be reported to the authorities who will fix a suitable reward. There is no specific reference to metal detectors. "

I wonder how they came up with a nice round date like 1537 :dontknow:

Sawyer

Jan 25, 2013
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surely you recall that the year 1537 is referred to as "THE YEAR BUREAURACRACY WAS BORN! The Vikings call it Bulla Chitta, a term that has been modified by many cultures but has never lost its original meaning!

Dr.Tones

Jan 7, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Wish I had that kind of history around here.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Law

"
NORWAY

And of course, you're aware, that bureaucrats are hovering over any md'r there, waiting to view the dates on coins you dig up, RIGHT? I mean, sheesk, c'mon.

OP
OP
M

MisterTell

Dec 30, 2012
Tromso
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Xp-Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bilde-2.JPG

Thank you so much for all the congratulations and for taking the time to watch my youtube video.
The law in Norway says that all findings from 1537 must be submitted two states, the year 1537 was introduced a reformation, when we went from Catholic to Protestant church.
for coins, we deliver all findings from before 1650.
To dedetct in Norway must have permission from Landman, and you must know which areas are protected heritage sites, as settlements and tombs.

The coin is a sachsen coin from around, year 950 CoinArchives.com Lot Viewer

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice coin indeed, I have only ever found one Viking coin here, and it was a copy of a Saxon coin....but never the less a Viking. Great find, I hope you don't mind me showing the coin I found.

SS

Attachments

• V R.jpg
    V R.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 214
  • Viking.jpg
    Viking.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 202

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one handsom coin. Fantastic and thankyou for showing it and taking the time to do the video.
ZDD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions