Finds at an older church......

adeptr

Aug 4, 2010
Elkhart, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Older Garrett GTA 350, Newer Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son-in-law and I got permission to hunt a mid 1930's church recently and I found some pretty cool things. These finds were from the last two hunts at the site which occured about a month ago. As well as finding quite a bit of clad coins which I won't bore you all with, I did find six wheat backed pennies (1949, 1944D, 1942, 1938, 1950 and 1919). I also found a 1979 Susan B. Anthony dollar coin, an old Buddha Zodiac token (Scorpio) and the prize of all............a 1900 Canadian Large Cent with no mint mark....all shown in the pictures below..........Geeeze, I've got to get a better camera!

As I understand it, the Canadian Large Cent with no mint mark coin in this year was struck at the Royal mint in London and these coins were roughly 1/3 of the quantity that were struck at the Heaton Mint in Birmingham, England which carried the "H" mint mark. As you may or may not know, Canada was a province of England up until 1876 when it became a country but did not have their own mint until 1908. So, all of their coins before 1908 were struck in one of the two mints in England. My Large cent is super good shape and I have no idea how a coin that old got into the ground at this particular church. As near as I can tell from various sources on the 'net, this coin should be worth between $25 and $75 to a collector depending on how it grades out. I am no coin expert for sure, but it looks like it would grade toward the upper end of the grading scale as opposed to the lower end. I'm extemely happy with this find!

The Buddha token is in really good shape as well. The token is not dated but from research somewhat on the internet, they are fairly old. I have no clue however of any vlalue that it may have. The front shows a picture of a "sitting Buddha" with the words "Lucky Buddha" directly beneath the picture. The reverse side has the Scorpio insignia at the center with the word "Scorpion" directly below that insignia and the words "You possess Strong Will Power" below that. At the top is the word "Scorpio" with "OCT 23 TO NOV 21" just below that. Both sides are shown in the photos below........

Old Church Finds.jpg

C Large Cent Front.jpg

C Large Cent Back.jpg

Buddha Token Front.jpg

Buddha Token Back.jpg

I still have a lot of area at this site to explore, but as with a lot of you, the heat recently has really been terrible to hunt in and I'm saving this spot for cooler weather. Enjoy!

Upvote 0
The Budda looks like a "pocket piece" rather than a trade token. Well done on the KW 1 quickset key. I found one like that while detecting the yard of one of my rentals. It actually fit to the last lock I took off the front door. SCORE--$1.99 in real time value.

nice large penny :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back