Finds at the new site...including cap & ball revolver!!!!

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
Finds at the new site...including cap & ball revolver!!!!

Some of you may have seen the pics of the new abandond farms I posted last night. I ended up driving through that area today while working, but didn't have a detector with me because I was supose to be in town all day. I stopped anyways because I had a little time to kill. I only got to check out a small part because I was taking my time, and was keeping a close eye on the stability of the floor & other things. The first thing I found is a leg hold trap. It is made by Onedia (sp?) and is a #4. it is bigger than it looks, and there is a piece missing that keeps it set. it even has teeth on it. I think it might look cool on the wall above a fireplace.
The next find made my heart come to a complete stop! I looked in a hole in the wall in what I think is the family/living room ( fancy room with a fireplace) and saw a tightly wound up ball of rags. As soon as I started to lift it out, I knew right away that there was something inside it because of the weight. Inside was a cap & ball revolver!! It was pretty well caked up with gunk. I have had it soaking in oil from the moment I got home (land speed record!!) and I have got a lot of the gunk off of it, but there are no markings, or numbers, or anything like that yet, but I am still working on it. It looks like it might clean up pretty nice.
If only this farm, or trap, or gun could talk........imagine the stories they could tell!!! I can't wait to get back there with my detector!!!

Paul

Attachments

• PICT0060 (Small).JPG
    PICT0060 (Small).JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 646
  • PICT0065 (Medium).JPG
    PICT0065 (Medium).JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 654
  • PICT0066 (Medium).JPG
    PICT0066 (Medium).JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 648
  • PICT0068 (Medium).JPG
    PICT0068 (Medium).JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 652
Upvote 0
Z

ZumbroKid

Re: Finds at the new site...including cap & ball revolver!!!!

Good finds Paul. knock a few holes in the walls to find more.

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Wow, Paul...must feel like a kid at Disneyland! Really cool!

HH!
TBGO

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Paul,

WOW! Those are some unique finds.

HH ;)
RR

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

nice find. it looks like your going to have great time when you go back and if these relics you found without a md. what are going to find with your md.finds like this without a md amazing.congras.

tinpan

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Paul, that is one of the most incredible finds I have seen, on this forum or otherwise!!! Tsgman

AFModell

Feb 27, 2006
DE

Wow. Thats a sweet looking revolver. Keep up the good work. :)

On a side note, I stopped at a farm here in Texas and didnt get more than 10 feet from the car before I was 3 feet from a rattler. Thatll set me straight for a while.

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.

That IS a beautiful revolver! I would think there HAS to markings on it somewhere. Nice find! -Ben

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

PAUL! :o

I remember seeing those pictures last night! I would have never guessed that you would be finding a gun! How old do you think it is? And that trap! I'd love to hear those stories!

Just WoW Paul!

;)

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

Real nice gun. Way to use your head also. I know 2 guys that just strictly go into old houses like the one pictured.

They find some really nice stuff also. If your willing to crawl into some of the deeper and scarier nooks you never know what your gonna find.

I would see if that puppy still worked. Looks like it would.

HH Jeremy

OP
OP
Paul in WA

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX

It's going to take a LOT of cleaning up. The "Gunk" is almost like weird combination of rust & hardened grease. The picture makes it look darker than it actually is, maybe from the semi dirty oil it is soaking in. I don't think it will ever be a functional gun. At this point everything seems to be seized up. Hammer, and trigger have zero movement. I had one heck of a time just getting the cylinder out (looks like one chamber still has the cap on it, but they are all empty). I haven't tried to disassemble it because I don't have the proper screwdrivers, and I don't want to mar up the screw heads. I learned a long time ago to approach projects like this very slowly & carefully, and if you don't have the right tool or knowledge , then stop until you do. Damage on stuff like this is not reversible! I will keep everyone posted on this. At this point, all I know is that it is a gun.

Paul

it will be hard to sleep tonight!

OP
OP
Paul in WA

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX

I will be back in that area in the next few days, so I was thinking of taking a good flash light & maybe a small mirror? The mirror just seems like a good idea because I'm not real fond of crawling down where the rattlesnakes & black widows like to hang out. My friend has a wireless video camera that he uses on his R/C airplane. is is tiny, but has great resoultion, and transmits to a camcorder with a 3 inch LCD screen. He said with the LCD screen on the camcorder, we could watch as we dropped the camera taped to a small mag flashlight into holes in the floor, or walls..........all seems like a good idea to me. I really need to take someone there with me. the place is very remote, and if anything ever happened while I was there alone, I would be in trouble.

Paul

luvmydfx

Mar 21, 2005

That pistol is totally awesome, hope you find some more good finds.

Luvmydfx

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia

NICE!!! I love the old pistol. I make my way in and out and around old houses fairly often (demolition work, and also THing at the same time). Wish I was there, lol, but I'm on the other corner of the country.

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.

PAUL, Your Revolver is A Fantastic Find, Congrats, and Good Hunting. trk5capt...

Attachments

• JOHNS DETECTING PICS 054.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 054.gif
    10.6 KB · Views: 523
  • JOHNS DETECTING PICS 054.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 054.gif
    10.6 KB · Views: 530

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

awesome finds! monty knows a thing or two about old firearms. i would ask him to take a look at the photo and see what he knows about it.

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola

Amazing finds :o never seeen a trap like that one!

nybuford

Jan 16, 2006

Nice finds. WTG
Good luck with the rest of the farm!
Should make for some great detecting!
Bu

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004

traps have gotten quite collectible lately, a website somewhere has a lot listed with pics/values googling old traps.....if you want to sell the pistol pm me.....looks like you had a great day.............gldhntr

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Wow those are some nice finds...Looks like an old Colt revolver...civil war era...cool ! The trap is neat also and I am sure there are alot of other great treasures waiting for you there.....take more pictures inside the place for us ...ok!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread