Finds For 5/31-6/1 (First Silver for 2014)

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone,

My Sunday started out with a trip to town, a half hour drive and then to do my mowing job. Mowing done...now off to pick up some furniture I had purchased from a private owner...done...however, on the way out..putt-putt-putt goes my car. :BangHead: Ran out of gas. Called sister to the rescue...good thing she was in a nearby town. But, as I waited for her to retrieve a gas can and find my location, all I could do is squint in the sun and watch the beautiful(though hot) day dissolve away from me thinking that I would not get to detect much if at all. My car was being tenacious too. Finally, she(my car) coughed it up and got me back on the road. I gassed up at the nearest station and headed to the park...of course. I gear up and get into it for about 20 minutes...wouldn't you guess?? Rain. :BangHead: So, i tucked into the nearest pavilion and waited. Meanwhile, the gnats, mosquitoes and a host of other strange bugs I have never seen before decided I was a meal. I think I opened my eyes once or twice the whole time...to see where I was going...otherwise all I could see was bugs. But they left me alone intermittently and I went to work. Well, finally...through it all, I received a pay off. Two silvers. SHA-BAMMM!! Two 1943 Mercs. The same hill I was working I also found the anchor and other button. Besides that, there was a little clad and lots of trash. Life. Minus running out of gas, Saturday was pretty much the same. It did rain on me, but I was at a different park...I took shelter in a public restroom. The bugs were evil...pure evil. But I wandered and wandered until I found something worth walking out with...for me it had to be the 1895 Indian Head Cent. Awesome. #3 Indian this year. :) The 1944D Wheat, Canadian Cent and Angel were found at that location by the way. No complaints!

Thanks for looking. GL & HH everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_3453.JPG
    IMG_3453.JPG
    821.1 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_3454.JPG
    IMG_3454.JPG
    483.1 KB · Views: 127
Upvote 10
OP
OP
Jarl

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oops, dang...I forgot to mention the itty bitty ring and the 10ga shell casing end...the ring was found in the same area as the Indian head, the 10ga shell end on the 'silver hill' on Sunday.

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Wow, hanging in there paid off! :headbang: Nice finds, my fave is the good-looking Indian cent. Hope your next outing is bug-free, rain-free too! Andi

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do LOVE me some mercs! And you found a matching pair the same day. I can't imagine that happens very often. The IH is very very nice as well. Good day of hunting. I wish you would driver over to Vinton and take my gals dad out hunting one day. The poor guy has been detecting for nearly 3 years and hasn't found a silver coin yet. We are planning on seeding his sons yard with some coins on our next visit up there to increase his odds.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mercs and IH- awesome day! You should have gotten even with the bugs, and had a few of them for lunch! You have to try to be less appetizing to them! I saw somewhere on TNet that spraying your body with the original listerine mouth wash deters Mosquitos and bugs. You may want to keep some handy. If nothing else you will be a sanitized and good smelling MD'er!

OP
OP
Jarl

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the comments and likes everyone(g-olden years-in fact it did pay off, thought about quitting more than once...persistence!, Chuxter-yes it does...and it becomes an obsession!, park pirate-thank you!, beez0404- Yeah...two same year Mercs?? odd but cool, so the gal's father is still looking for the silver, PM me with more detail if you wish...Vinton isn't that far off, Msbeepbeep- I think I heard that about the Listerine, also people used to swear by Skin So Soft...I definitely need to use something...I felt like a mid-July city dumpster.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice haul...Mercs and an Indian. Congrats.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1884-1929 is what I found for a date range on your Winchester Repeating Arms Co. Here is the link, I'm not sure it will work. Way to persevere, great finds!
Winchester Shotshell Headstamps

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to see your patience paid off with a few excellent finds, Jarl!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Persistence, as always, pays off. But, we need to be a bit careful that it doesn't become too much of an obsession. I know, I'm as afflicted as any and 1 single silver coin can make everything worthwhile. But, and this is just sometimes, I think, at what cost? LOL

In any case, great finds and a tough day!

Thanks for sharing!

frostdigger

Jan 1, 2013
Col. Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1350, Garrett AT pro, Garrett AT gold, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds, nice Indian and the Merc's speak for them selves, awesome. I feel your pain first thing I did when I got home last night was put a can off skeeter repellant in my truck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread