Finds from a spring in New Mexico

Meadowlark67

Sep 28, 2004
I'm new at posting here and may make some mistakes on uploading information. These finds are from a spring in New Mexico that was used by both Union and Confederate armies. As the owner of the spring said "....presumably not at the same time." I don't dig a lot of relics, so any help with identification would be appreciated. The button is pretty self-explanatory. There are a couple of views of each of the two bullets. The round shot is kind of a mystery and may just be shot from something more modern than the Civil war, but because of their associations, it would be nice to know more about them. There are three casings. The first is the least flattened and the measurements are probably the best. The other two casings have been flattened and the measurements are probably not as good. The weight on the last two casing may be off because of dirt trapped in the casings. Any help identifying these items would be appreciated. I have some other relics that have been found in New Mexico since I arrived in 1994, but these were all found in a single location.

Attachments

• TI3-Military-button-front.jpg
    TI3-Military-button-front.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 863
  • TI3-Spg-button-back.jpg
    TI3-Spg-button-back.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 884
  • TI4-Bullet-1-first-view.jpg
    TI4-Bullet-1-first-view.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 889
  • TI4-Bullet-1-second-view.jpg
    TI4-Bullet-1-second-view.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 893
  • TI5-Bullet-2-view-1.jpg
    TI5-Bullet-2-view-1.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 898
  • TI5-Bullet-2-view-2.jpg
    TI5-Bullet-2-view-2.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 1,016
  • TI6-rnd-shot-view-1.jpg
    TI6-rnd-shot-view-1.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 1,033
  • TI7-view-1-case.jpg
    TI7-view-1-case.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 1,072
  • TI8-view-1-case.jpg
    TI8-view-1-case.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 1,129
  • TI9-view-1.jpg
    TI9-view-1.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 1,124

DeadLizard7

Dec 16, 2004
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab 705
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool relics! I'm not much of a relic hunter either but buttons are always fun to find. Can I ask what part of the state you found these in? I'm in Roswell. Thanks,
Jason

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds & Welcome to Treasure-net. :thumbsup:

Fossis...........

OP
OP
M

Meadowlark67

Sep 28, 2004
Hi DeadLizard 7,
I don't know enough about relics to identify with any surety that the items shown here are Civil war era, but the owner of the property said both the invading Confederate army under Sibley and portions of the Union army passed through. Not sure if it was before or after the Confederate retreat from Glorieta Pass. In other words in the North - South central corridor of the state.

DeadLizard7

Dec 16, 2004
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab 705
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well they are cool finds regardless of what era, good job! Thanks for the reply. Jason

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, all I can tell you is that the bullit in pic I5 is NOT civil war era, those were started I think in the 1870's
you can tell by the small lines or ridges in the groove's of the bullit. nice finds though :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread