Finds from early January ......Plus Thanks for all the Prayers !!!

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Four weeks ago, I got up with the sound of my daughters voice, asking me if it was ok if she could watch some television that Saturday morning. But what happened moments later would change my life forever…

Each day you wake up, and start your day with the same old thing or with something planned for that day, or just simply with a smile on you face. The week that lead up to that Saturday morning was one of those weeks. Everyday living as usual……….

I started the week of January 13th with the weather still nice and with plans to go digging. On the 10th of January, I went out to an area near the town or Arcade here in N.Y. My wife Cheryl was with me that day, She thought it would be nice to get out and give it a try and see what this hobby was all about on the detecting side. She has put up with all the times that I went out here and there with my friends. ……Plus never said a thing when my finds were lying on the kitchen table full of dirt.lolol not really!!! They were on a newspaper or some thing else. On the table would not have gone over well! So anyway, there was an old house being torn down, so I stopped to ask if it would be ok to detect the property where the construction has been completed. The guy we asked said that would not be a problem, go right ahead! So as you can see in the pictures, the finds were just great ……Cheryl found some common coins and a few other small items. The old keyhole plate was a very nice find!

PC120089 Large Web view.jpg
PC120087 Large Web view.jpg

It is something different and a first for me, plus the Elephant pin also was an interesting find! The flowing hair girl pin thing is well??? I have know idea what she is doing.......have fun!

PC120092 Large Web view.jpg
PC120090 Large Web view.jpg

So with the day getting late and time becoming a problem it was time to head home.

When I got home that evening, I mentioned to my wife that my head for the past few days was still bothering me. I had a headache for days. I never get them so I was not aware of the severity of what was going on. I said that by this weekend, I will call the doctor of it continues. Well by Friday night the 12th the headache was gone. I even went bowling that evening and had a great time out. After bowling I went out to eat with Cheryl and my daughter and the headache started up once again. I said when I got home that I will call the doctor in the morning…that morning everything and everyday changed in an instance. Moments after my daughter asked to watch TV, I got up went into the kitchen and made a pot of coffee. Shortly after I walked into the bedroom and started talking to Cheryl, suddenly in the middle of the conversation …….I stopped talking! At that moment my wife asked me “ If I were ok”. I hesitated to respond. Then I said I was fine, but she knew there was a problem. Now Cheryl had seen her uncle in the past that had suffered a stroke and now had some idea of the reactions and symptoms of having one. So minutes later I walked into the kitchen again and Cheryl said to come over to the couch and sit down here in the living room…so I did! Moments later, Leah yelled to my wife and said there was something wrong with Dad. Within a minute I tried to get up, and just fell on the floor. I could not move my whole left side and could barely talk. She called 911 and all I could hear was the EMT’s who showed up and a few other things in between.
One of the first EMT’s to show up was Roger, who is a friend of ours. He suggested going to Millard Fillmore Gates, which is one of the best Hospitals in the county for Stroke victims. Now at the Hospital I could hear things happening but I could not understand what was going on. My wife Cheryl was hit with every possible question at that time, from the surgeons and medical staff regarding my health, and everything possible which would lead up to the decisions she had to make.

When your down and not aware of the things going on, all you could think of is family, your kids, and whether you are going to live or Die! … Riding in a ambulance was not on my agenda that year………But when you see your family as your laying on that stretcher and being rushed into the operating room for a 3and a half hours surgery is one of the scarcest things you can see and imagine. I had to be awake the whole time during all the procedures. So with being able to hear the doctors, I was asked to make sounds and try to move my hand and feet as they administer a drug called TPA. It’s a clot-busting drug. Now you have no idea while this is going on what is happening and you can only hear voices but all your thinking of is you family and all you know!

I can sit here and tell you every detail and all that I found out but I will say this, my wife Cheryl made the right decisions and did all the right things. She saved my life!! The timing could not have been any better on that Saturday morning if you can say it was good timing…That week I was down in the sticks and detecting an hour and a half away ……what if the stroke had happened there!!! The out come may have been different for me being 80 miles away from one of the best Hospitals. With no one around to help! I may not be here telling this story.talking, walking again and having 100% of my health and mobility back.

Now with this being a life changing experience, there may things you see different each and everyday … I thought I would have to change my diet, but that was not the case… What was the cause was a Torn inner layer of the Carotid artery…. There are three layers, the inner one was torn and flapped over and caused the clot. Cholesterol was not the problem…I have 160, my blood pressure is 120 over70, I never smoked which all played part in how the out come came to be. If I had high blood pressure and the clot burst, I may not be here again typing this letter…

I’m sure everyone in Treasure Net has seen friends, family go through so may tough times in their lives. But when you experience it for your self…it makes you just sit and pray and ask yourself …….why me. I am so lucky to be able to do the things once again that I love to do. I still can’t do the lifting stuff yet but according to the doctors I will be by early summer if all goes well.

I would like to thank everyone for all the thoughts, the gifts, the cards, all the phone calls and most of all the prayers, the wonderful messages from everyone here in this forum.

With all that has happened … I consider myself a lucky man and blessed. I do believe that there is someone looking out for all of us and on that day !! My guardian Angel was there ..... guiding all the decisions that were made that day for me ……………..

Thanks everyone

John……

P.s. By the way Jeff and Tim

You offered to dig for me; I will take you up on the offer! Hahahahah

And those sites I go to once in a while and never tell you about, I guess you will be coming along !!! Going alone may be out of the question! lololol

Upvote 0
P

pokerbear

Couldn't read the whole post it was too painful. Glad you recovered so well and quickly. God Bless

Pokerbear

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Great to have you back here John and your a strong one, thank god. Keep happy my friend. See you around here and there. Thanks for posting this. Inspirational like no other thread!

Smiles!
BDoo

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So good to see your post John! It is great that your family, the timing, the hospital, the decisions all came together to bring you back with no lasting problems. Some things are meant to happen in a certain way and I'm happy for you and your family (and all of us). Looking death in the face can make the rest of a person's life more meaningful, as I'm sure you have discovered. Great to hear from you!

And nice finds too!

HH!
TBGO

D

doyboy

We are all glad to be graced with your presence once again, Seek! Your finds are always great! By the way, how many Large cents did you find last year?

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's why I call you "SUPERMAN" John.Need someone to "PP"... ;).....So glad to hear from you Seeker,Thank's.Beautiful find''s.....Need you at 1000% John,yes 1000%!!!!!!.Can't wait......!!

tpmrcp

Dec 31, 2006
East Stroudsburg, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome back, i dedicated a hunt to you a few weeks back.

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John, it is so good to see you post again. Take your time and get your strength back. You pointed out the importance of quick treatment when strokes are involved. You were very fortunate to have someone to look after you.

Welcome back!!!

Trash Digger

Dec 15, 2006
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Welcome back, Seeker, I am glad everything is all right. The greatest treasure of all is being blessed with a great and loving family.

And as for Jeff and Tim, make them dig deep and often.

Mike

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
So good to see you back John! I know that was a terrifying experience for you! Thanks so much for sharing your story with us and I hope that you have continued health and hopefully a very long life ahead of you!! God bless you and your family!

Happy Hunting (and I mean that!!)

Moon

Dig This

Dec 26, 2005
western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
It is about time you posted, Glad to see you got tired of me telling you to get back on here. I dont think Tim or I will have to dig for ya as you will be just fine. Best part is that no you cant go alone to any seceret places any more. My brother when that weather breaks we will be out diggin.
Jeff

M

MiniMe

I'm so glad to see you back on your feet... as many are. You never know what life is going to bring and thank God you made it through okay. Thanks for sharing your story....We all take things for granted sometimes, getting into a routine and thinking that things are going to be that way every day. A lot of people thinking it's not going to happen to them....you never know what the next day may bring. Take the time to gain your strength back fully, enjoy your family and hope all is well soon. God bless you and your family.

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome back,John! It is good to hear that you are bouncing back so well after your ordeal. Keep up the good work!

Huntin' 59er

bruizr

Feb 4, 2006
Poplar Bluff, Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, 'big bud' by bounty hunter, aqua vision
good to hear from you and to know you're up & around to feel the sun's warmth or a cool breeze.

lordmarcovan

Jan 3, 2006
Golden Isles Of Georgia
Detector(s) used
Many models over the years, mostly Garretts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wicked cool stuff, there.

The keyhole cover thingie looks like the Loch Ness Monster shoved into a basket! :o

Love that heavily-ornamented Victorian/Art Nouveau stuff.

azmetaldetector

Sep 22, 2005
Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites MXT Pro
Glad to see you back Seeker. I miss your posts because I feel that I have somewhat of a connection with you since I attended college at SUNY Geneseo...so I feel I have a sense of the area you are detecting.....(and envious that I never MD when I was a college student..)
Glad to have you back and happy hunting!

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Hey there John- WHEW! That was a close one, eh? You're too young for this stuff, you know that right? ;) Definately take-r-easy for awhile, and I'm really glad you're back in one piece! :)

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
Wonderful post and its great to see your name in the finds section again. A post of yours was the very first that I can recall reading here at Tnet,it was one time you and Mona went out and did a couple of cellar holes. I can remember thinking how great it was that people could meet on here like that then for her to trust enough to go detecting with you in the middle of nowhere,I knew I had found a great forum. I guess your one of my detecting idols from all the great finds you make to the places you hunt and the machine you use. Since then Ive seen your posts when you went with a lot of different people and from your writing style I almost felt like I was tagging along.
My dad had a stroke about 10 years ago and he gets around great and is still a wicked golfer he did however lose alot of his speech capabilities. Ive talked to him about it and he says that he knows the words but just cant get them to his lips. Its very sad for me when I talk to him because he is such an intelligent man. he worked as a chemical engineer formulating coatings for a very large pharm. company,Im sure that most people in this country have taken one drug or another that he wrote the coating for. Ive always wonderd what it was like for him when he had is stroke and this post gave me a lot of insight,honestly I wouldnt have minded if you described every detail. The headach thing really hits home for me. Ive always had terrible headaches so maybe Im not in such as bad way as someone that never gets them then starts having them all the sudden.
Staring death in the face will really change your life. I got a harsh dose of it a lot of years ago when I was diagnosed with lymphoma,its a nasty little cancer that gets into your nodes and from there is pretty much free to travel around the body at will. I was diagnosed fairly early,though I was mis-diagnosed several times over a few months before someone finally put 2 and 2 together. I endured almost a year of some awful chemicals being pumped in on a weekly basis but Ive been good to go for almost 20 years now. What you will find is that you will think about it every single day for the rest of your life,all the time for the first few years then slowly less and less but never a day you wont think about it once. I think you will be happier than you have ever been everyday now knowing that things could have turned out different. From now on whenever you think things are bad or this or that sucks you will always be able to remember that things can always,always be worse....Good luck with this next chapter in your life and make sure you make the most of everyday,its really great to see ya back...Shoot

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread