Finds from last week up in New England

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Last week was spent thoroughly enjoying a trip up to New England to visit family for Father's Day and the following week. (I guess more like two weeks ago now). First stop was southern Vermont in which I only hunted a little in my grandparents' side yard and only turned up one Wheat cent. Next stop was Connecticut. I met up with my cousin (tnet user luckysometimes) and he had planned out some cool spots. We drove down the main drag and I spied an abandoned house located on property slated for new commercial development. It had a little yard so we hit it up. I scored this crazy machete in the back yard, it had actually not sank yet into the sandy soil but was partially viewable on the top of the ground. It is about 20 inches long and has an odd marking on the bottom near the end of the handle of an arm and fist clenching what appears to be a hammer. I will try to clean it up and take a pic of it then.

picture467.jpg

picture468.jpg

I also found an older pocket spill near the old driveway, including a 1930 Wheat, 1956D Wheat, 1959 Memorial Cent and a 1959 silver Roosevelt dime. This was actually (and yes, regrettably, my first silver coin this year). We then hit up the area around an 1840 farmhouse that we had permission to search. Luckysometimes found two silver coins together inside the barn but the only notable find I had there was an old boyscout pocketknife.

Next day I dug up some more wheats and a Merc, a 1944S. Odd that I had to travel EAST to find my first S-mint dime! I have about 80 silver dimes found but this was my first San Fran mint dime. Here's pics of it in the ground coming up:

picture361.jpg

picture362-1.jpg

And both silver dimes after getting a nice rinse:

picture463.jpg

After that we headed to northwestern Maine. We had permission to hunt around an old Inn used during the 'Wagon Days.' We were both finding tons of recent clad at this place but the only good find I had was this old Maine bank token. Anyone have any info on it? I'm familiar with bank tokens but this one I couldn't find much info about the actual bank out or the time frame these were used.

picture461.jpg

picture462.jpg

It reads: (obverse) AUGUSTA TRUST COMPANY ---Augusta-Madison-Richmond-Winthrop

(reverse) We will accept this on deposit for 50 cts if you open a new savings account of 5.00 or more leaving it in the bank 12 months and pay 4% compound interest on your savings

It was found around the area of Mt. Vernon, ME.

Lastly I tried my luck in central New Hampshire at my family association's house. I managed an 1865 Indian Head in the same spot I had already detected a few years ago. It's got a full LIBERTY on the headband but it's pretty fragile. Any tips on trying to clean it?

picture465.jpg

picture466.jpg

Thanks for looking and it was great to finally get some time to get out and detect.

Upvote 0

steif

Mar 2, 2007
The arm and hammer is a trademark for Collins manufacturing company, Usually marked Collins Legitimus around or under the hand/hammer stamp. If I remember right they were in business making machetes and bowie knives from 1845-1965 or something like that. neat find.

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Sounds like a great road trip! Congrats on some interesting finds, Dr. Those bank tokens are pretty cool; I wouldn't mind getting 4% nowadays! Most, if not all the tokens I've found have a deadline date for depositing. Now that school is out, Miss halfdime said, "Good, now we can go metal detecting." I replied that we had to line up some good sites first. We'll have to get to work on that.

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Use that machete to cut through the woods on your next trip out...Great finds BTW....HH jgas

piratesgold

Apr 29, 2008
CT
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Nice post,

you don't wanna use my Hydrogen Peroxide soaking method on that IH?

just a thought, you dont have to.

By the way, I bought an M6 with all the accessories (digger, pouch, headphones, etc.) for $500. So I hope I turn up more great stuff this summer, lemme know how your next hunts go.

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like y'all had a wonderful time and came up with some nice finds. Congrats

OP
OP
D

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
steif said:
The arm and hammer is a trademark for Collins manufacturing company, Usually marked Collins Legitimus around or under the hand/hammer stamp. If I remember right they were in business making machetes and bowie knives from 1845-1965 or something like that. neat find.

I took the machete to the wire wheel and cleaned it up some, it turned out pretty good. It is marked:

Legitimus
Collins & Co.
Made in U.S.A.
No. 127

It looks good cleaned up and is quite sharp still. No idea how long it was lying there in that tall grass.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread