Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all. I got out yesterday with a couple friends to try to find a camp that was part of Sherman's army. I guess you could say this was my first strictly Civil War hunt. As soon as we step foot in the woods my friend pulls out a nice heart heel plate. A few steps later my other friend pulls out a melted 3 ringer. We walked right into it! After some more finds he concluded it was a picket line & not the main camp. We then searched a hill nearby that looked promising. We didn't find a camp although we did find a house site. A 1902 V Nickel was found but we decided to go back to the picket line in hopes of getting a few buttons. Oh, my AT Pro was going haywire by this point, could not hunt with it at all. I've only had it a week & already I've gotta send it back in! Uggghhhhh. So, I used my friends Fisher F2 for the remainder of the day. Considering it was a machine I have never used I guess I did pretty good. I pulled a type III Williams cleaner bullet & a knapsack triangle (both firsts for me). I also got a melted bullet with a piece of charred wood still embedded, I can barely make out 2 rings. I ended the day with a random 1917 merc. Oh man I was hoping it was seated considering where we were! Oh well, not complaining. I also got a couple small round balls, piece of a suspender clip & overalls button. My friends ended up with 3-4 bullets each & a knapsack hook. It was a beautiful day in SC, 68 degrees! (Eat your hearts out Yankees! Sorry, had to throw that out there!.) It was great to get out with some friends & save some history. Thanks for looking & HH!

Attachments

• image-3658228524.jpg
    image-3658228524.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 132
  • image-2080440157.jpg
    image-2080440157.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 121
  • image-1245139230.jpg
    image-1245139230.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 122
  • image-1722975976.jpg
    image-1722975976.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 127
  • image-3830603340.jpg
    image-3830603340.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 121
Upvote 4

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool stuff Mangum! Hope you have better luck with your machine and hopefully you find the sweet spot on that site. One of my first finds was a heart heel plate, which is very rare here in Maine. Best of luck with that site and Happy Holidays to you and yours! Abe

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first official CW hunt Mangum.
Words of warning..... You WILL get addicted. :tongue3:
Those are some great finds you guys got. I love that melted lead with charred wood. Very cool.
Sounds like a great spot to hit again,
Doug

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Congrats on walking into a sweet spot!
We all know that was just the frustration over the ATPro talking, cause its probably raining there now, you could really use the ATPro.

OP
OP
mangum

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first official CW hunt Mangum. Words of warning..... You WILL get addicted. :tongue3: Those are some great finds you guys got. I love that melted lead with charred wood. Very cool. Sounds like a great spot to hit again, Doug
I'm already addicted! It doesn't take much to get me excited. My friend thinks he's got a probable location for the main camp now as a result of finding the picket line.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm already addicted! It doesn't take much to get me excited. My friend thinks he's got a probable location for the main camp now as a result of finding the picket line.

Awesome! I hope you guys find it. :thumbsup:

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep telling people! Ya just GOTTA stop using the At-Pro as a weed wacker! You inevitably hit something hard and ruin the coil!!! ;)
Did the ATP work when you got it home?

Excellent finds!

Now get out there and find that 1916 dime!

OP
OP
mangum

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep telling people! Ya just GOTTA stop using the At-Pro as a weed wacker! You inevitably hit something hard and ruin the coil!!! ;) Did the ATP work when you got it home? Excellent finds! Now get out there and find that 1916 dime!
Lol, it was acting erratic even when I unplugged the coil. It's something with the processor. My friends think the capacitor is shot... :-/ I have found a 1916 merc, just not an S!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread