Finds from this past weekend - 1800s homesite

bcbirdman

Apr 14, 2023
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I spent a day and a half detecting a harvested field in west central Indiana this past weekend. Not a lot of modern trash, which is awesome. Almost everything that was found I could date to about the late 1800s or earlier to about 1830s. Here are my best three finds.

An 1861 Indian head in pretty decent shape (was just sitting on the surface)

Brass knuckles that I suspect are from the 1800s. This design seemed popular later on into the 1900s, but I found some civil war era brass knuckles online that matched this style and based on the other items from the site, I'd guess they are about as old as everything else. They gave me a super high squeak ringing in at around 91-92 on the detector. Thought I was about to pull out a silver coin for sure!

And lastly, my favorite find is an 1835-1838 floral, guilt, civilian coat button made by Wadhams & Coe Co. The shank is intact and the backmark reads "Wadhams & Coe. Co, Extra Rich." They made these buttons between 1835-1850ish. After doing some research, I found that the Coe guy quit the company in 1838, and they changed the backmark to not include him. Something really cool about this find is how fun it was to find it. Haha I was getting a broken signal around 77 on the detector, but it wasn't super consistent but I decided to dig it anyway. I ended up digging two small square nails in the hole and thought to myself, "This can't be the 77 I was hearing." So I waved the detector over the hole again and this time got a solid 77-78. Then dug a little more and pulled out this button around 6-8 inches down. So satisfying haha.

Can't wait to head back out there!

Attachments

• IMG_1748.jpg
    IMG_1748.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1721.jpg
    IMG_1721.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1739.jpg
    IMG_1739.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1738.jpg
    IMG_1738.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 65
Upvote 24

TreaShore

May 4, 2023
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT (since 2012)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brass knuckles were a useful find. Now you can defend your turff if you see another person detecting it. Birdman is gonna cause rumbles in the cornfields of Indiana. Hahaha

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent a day and a half detecting a harvested field in west central Indiana this past weekend. Not a lot of modern trash, which is awesome. Almost everything that was found I could date to about the late 1800s or earlier to about 1830s. Here are my best three finds.

Brass knuckles that I suspect are from the 1800s. This design seemed popular later on into the 1900s, but I found some civil war era brass knuckles online that matched this style and based on the other items from the site, I'd guess they are about as old as everything else. They gave me a super high squeak ringing in at around 91-92 on the detector. Thought I was about to pull out a silver coin for sure!

And lastly, my favorite find is an 1835-1838 floral, guilt, civilian coat button made by Wadhams & Coe Co. The shank is intact and the backmark reads "Wadhams & Coe. Co, Extra Rich." They made these buttons between 1835-1850ish. After doing some research, I found that the Coe guy quit the company in 1838, and they changed the backmark to not include him. Something really cool about this find is how fun it was to find it. Haha I was getting a broken signal around 77 on the detector, but it wasn't super consistent but I decided to dig it anyway. I ended up digging two small square nails in the hole and thought to myself, "This can't be the 77 I was hearing." So I waved the detector over the hole again and this time got a solid 77-78. Then dug a little more and pulled out this button around 6-8 inches down. So satisfying haha.

Nice finds.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some great finds from Hoosiervile. Congrats to you. I have a similar "flower button" that I dug here in NC years ago. I always like finding those nice old buttons.
I was just up in Northern Indiana about a week ago. It was 90 degrees when I was out detecting. Of course after I left it cooled down. :-(
L@@king forward to seeing what else you find.
-MM-

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great Saves of that beautiful button and the brass knuckles. Best of luck to you in your return trip to the field. Well Done.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread