Finds report from St. Augustine

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
Well, after a death defying trip up to St. Augustine from Tampa in the rain, I looked forward to hunting the yard of my father-in-law. In between cloudbursts, I hunted the yard occasionally checking that my MD was turned on and had fresh batteries. I got all of 4 hits over the whole acre! 2 were bullets (modern) 1 was a piece of foil, and 1 was a curious box found at 14". I discovered there is a layer of grass at 12" and found out that they dug a fish pond and spread the dirt over the whole yard to a depth of 12"! The box I opened excitedly thinking I had found a cache at last! The box was filled with brightly colored feathers and the delicate bones of a long passed parakeet! I promptly reburied the box! Today as we were leaving, my Father-in-law says "You know where you should have hunted...." and proceeded to tell me about a brick road back in the woods that leads nowhere, it is so old it has trees 2 feet across growing out of it! It begins and ends way back in the woods and starts and stops off and on through the woods! I Know where I will be hunting this summer! HH omnicognic 8)

Upvote 0

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound
Thanks Omni! Always like to read your post! I liked your tale of the drive over. I go through that daily driving to Miami! LOL

HH 8) surfrat

vic910

Bronze Member
Mar 14, 2005
Orlando, FL
Omni, I'm not sure, but I think that old brick road might be part of the original Dixie Highway. There's a portion of it somewhat near me that I've been trying to get my husband to take me back to so I can detect it. I'd never find it by myself. We actually came upon it accidentally during one of our road trips a couple of years ago. Course, I could be wrong. I didn't investigate it up as far as St. Augustine. They made a lot of roads out of brick back in the day. It could just be a road that fell out of use for some reason. Hope you get a chance to get back to it!

vicki

OP
OP
omnicognic

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
I was told that it may be part of the original US1, but it has trees 2' across growing out of it, then it's old enough to get MY attention! ;)

brandy

Jan 15, 2005
SOUTH ARKANSAS
Hey Omni, have you checked to see if those bricks are yellow? Might just be some rubies involved here. Congratulations on the new site, and keep us updated please. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread