Finds while visiting the father in law

Hothgar

Aug 1, 2005
We're spending several months out in new mexico with my girlfriend's father in law to take him to chemo/radiation/etc appointments. So far while i've been down here i've done well on coin hunting. Lots of small banks here - usually only with rolls of pennies to spare. Few other finds though -

I've managed 5 eisenhower dollars while here - all in really good shape.
1 1964 kennedy half
22 40% silver halves
1941 nickel
1955 british carribean territories 25 cent piece (size of our quarters)
a 2 cent euro (france made)
a 1/2 swiss franc coin
3 cinco centavo mexican coins
7 canadian cents
2 canadian dimes
a 2 pfennig german coin
a 1973 2 something soviet union coin
3 silver dimes (63D x 2 and a 64)
16 "old" wheats (16D, 18, 19, 20, 28, 30, 34x2, 36, 37D, 37x3, 39x3)
159 "new" wheats (1940-1958)

This has come from gosh, 1 box of dimes (the silver dimes, canadian dimes, swiss coin, and a cinco centavo), $30 in rolls of pennies, and about $150 in loose pennies that her father in law had sitting around.

Hoping to find time to hit more banks (there's alot i havent gotten to yet).

Hothgar

Upvote 0

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
Hothgar,

I'm sorry that your girlfriends father-in-law has to go thru all of that and I hope it works for him.

Sounds like you're having a great time with the finds,it's a bonanza there. You have some very nice finds so far, and I love the foregin currency as well. Congratulations to you and hit EVERY bank you see. Look them up in the telephone book too,you may even call some that are not as close to you but accessible and see how much rolled coin they have available-buy it all. How are the banks treating you,when you return the rolled coins? Keep up the searching! :)

OP
OP
H

Hothgar

Aug 1, 2005
There's a wellsfargo here i have an account with that has a coin counter - they havent cared so far - i told them i collect coins and my father in law has been accumulating for 20 years, so he's letting me have the good stuff if i cash in/sort all his junk coin for him - not entirely a lie either - he has lots of pennies buckets and buckets.

So, i dont have to roll it, i just take a bag in a day and deposit it. i have around 1k sitting in it, and that seems to keep em happy.

Hothgar

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope all goes well with your g.f.'s father-in-law. He's fortunate to have you both there.

Sounds like he likes to hoard pennies! Good for you and he can certainly use the extra money as you cash 'em in. Any mintmarked penny in the teens is quite a find!

At the Bank Of America I frequent my merchant teller buddy tells me some guy comes in every Friday and buys every half dollar they have, but not to look for silver. He just hoards them and apparently has barrels of 'em! Imagine going thru those!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions