Fine gold quandary

mtbill

Oct 22, 2004
I recently decided to purchase a second metal detector. I am looking for something that will find the tiniest of pieces. I have a GP Extreme for the larger gold, but it goes right over the small stuff. I know the Gold Bug 2 has a reputation for finding the smallest pieces, but know also that there are new machines that may do even better that haven't yet become popular enough to have a following. I would appreciate any help you might be able to offer.

Upvote 0

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Well you have been given good advice-the Gold Bug 2 is an excellent machine which I believe most gold hunters would? recommend. I own a Whites GMT and a Troy X-5 both excellent detectors which can detect gold(wire,ect) that PIs can not detect. The X-5 is prettry close to the Gold Bug 2 in sensitivity and can be used for coin and relic hunting. However, the X-5 is expensive($1000) and I can not recommend it soley for nugget hunting.
I would follow the crowd and would recommend the Gold Bug 2 also

George

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What is the smallest size you can find with your present detector? Somehow it seems counter-productive to me to look for dust with a detector-- if you can find a piece the size of a grain of rice, you're doing pretty good. If you want all the gold there is in that spot, its time to break out a gold pan or drywasher, I think.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Lab rat
Most serious nugget addicts have a GB2 in the back of their pickup truck in addition to their GP3000. Like coin detectors -no one model is superior in all areas. Yes the GB2 is still superior to locating the tiniiest pieces of gold compared to a PI.

As to the question is it really worth it detecting these tiny pieces of gold?? Well most of us are just thrilled bringing home any gold period. Just look at the coin forums and a typical photo of 1 IH, 14 wheaties and a clad dime. Ask the same question- was it worth it to recover 25 cents for an afternoon's effort? Isn't it counterproductive to bother with copper, why not just cherry pick silver? Like coin shooters we are thrilled to find the objects of our search regardless of their value. Finding a? typical corroded IH worth 1 cent brings as much thrill as finding a tiny nugget worth 10 cents.

In addition , in a lot of areas, size has nothing to do with it. I don't have a Minelab PI in my arsenal only VLFs because PIs are ineffective in the areas I hunt. Size has nothing to do with it just gold character. PIs can not detect gold wire specimens or many pieces which are not solid. In addition, as PIs do not possess discrimination and in a lot of trashy areas discriminating VLFs are the only ones which can be employed.

George

Yosemite Sam

Greenie
Mar 26, 2004
I would have to agree with George. True "Gold Fever" can only be experienced when you find your first piece of raw gold. The problem with "Gold Fever" is that you never get over it. I wish that I had a Metal Detector when I lived in Oregon. I had a few different size pans and a portable 4' sluice box. Was able to move about 6 yards of dirt in a day, (whew!) but a detector would have helped find some of the sweet pocket spots.
I miss the trips to Sweet Home and the Whites showroom!

Sam

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks, Bakergeol, for the perspective, and I understand exactly where you are coming from.? I have found natural gold in creeks and rivers, and most of it is dust or flake too small for most detectors.? In my favorite area I have found flakes about the size of match heads, but very thin, and so uniformly distributed in an alluvial cobble formation that my detector was virtually useless.? I used my sluice instead and picked up some very pretty gold.? I'm just wondering in what kind of area/ rock formation would it be more efficient to look for tiny grains with a detector.

OP
OP
M

mtbill

Oct 22, 2004
Thank you for the replies! I appreciate your taking the time to answer. I'll be getting a Gold Bug 2. Doesn't sound like I can go wrong with it. (Lab Rat you raised a good question, but I guess George answered it pretty well. I also had my GP Ex quit on me this spring and was without a machine for most of the summer. Sure ruined a lot of plans I had. I need a backup!!)

This forum is really something. It's like having a bunch of friends out there that you can talk something over with. You'll see more of me when I return from Arizona next spring.

Thanks again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread