Finger in a jar

Wrongway Wood

Feb 25, 2024
Hello all!
Well thereā€™s an unusual ā€œtreasureā€ I want to find, but Iā€™m wondering if itā€™s worth the effort. So in the 40ā€™s or so, my grandpa accidentally cut his finger off with a table saw. His wife put the finger in a mason jar and filled it with alcohol and buried it behind their house in the mountains. (I guess they didnā€™t know how to reattach fingers back then!) I think it would be kinda funny to find it , my mom remembers approximately where it was buried. But I expect the lid is rusted away or I wonder if the alcohol would help preserve it.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello all!
Well thereā€™s an unusual ā€œtreasureā€ I want to find, but Iā€™m wondering if itā€™s worth the effort. So in the 40ā€™s or so, my grandpa accidentally cut his finger off with a table saw. His wife put the finger in a mason jar and filled it with alcohol and buried it behind their house in the mountains. (I guess they didnā€™t know how to reattach fingers back then!) I think it would be kinda funny to find it , my mom remembers approximately where it was buried. But I expect the lid is rusted away or I wonder if the alcohol would help preserve it.
Some of the lid might be rusted away, but there will be enough to detect.
Zero discrimination will be the best option.
So what are you going to do with the finger if you find it?
You could have your own version of the Sourtoe drinks.

Oct 1, 2018
Western PA, Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will probably be able to metal detect the lid, but keep in mind that the constant freeze and thaw of the ground will probably have broken the jar. But you never know, there may be bone left.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You will probably be able to metal detect the lid, but keep in mind that the constant freeze and thaw of the ground will probably have broken the jar. But you never know, there may be bone left.
If it was 40 proof alcohol it wouldn't freeze

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was really thinking the ground freeze/thaw. It can expand and contract enough to break fragile containers. But it could be that the jar was buried below the frost level.
The only reason it breaks is if the contents can't expand within the container.
The glass would break at that point.
Have dug many bottles and water in the bottles will break them. As stated before alcohol won't freeze unless subjected to -10F for a lengthy period of time.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the best question Iā€™ve ever seen asked on Tnet.
For the love of everything treasureā€¦. Please post pics if you find it.
I was thinkin that too, BWD. By all means, WW, get out there and find that and post some pics.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
leave it be, we don't need another pandemic

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all!
Do it. Your treasure story will be cemented in folklore for hundreds of years. Both in your family as well as local folks. What better way to be remembered more than 3 generations?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread