Finished my penny Grand-slam !!

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
The last few weeks have been all large cents and SLQs, the dirt gods have been REALLY good to me, the last 6-7 days I have been scratching just to get a merc. You know when you hit a bum run, and you end up with that one dig that ends up making it all worthwhile ?? Happened to me today. I went to a park in a neighboring town, the area dates back to the 1860's or so, and the park has some elm trees that are 3' across thru' the middle, figured it would be a good spot. Last week my buddy got his first pre-1900 coin there(1882 IH), so I figured I'd go back. The first hit I dug sounded just like an IH, it ended up being about 8" down, and when I got it out of the hole and the ID repeated. I figured that's what it was, Not SO mistletoe !!! I just about fell over when this fell out of the dirt !! It's pretty cool because this was VERY high on my wants list for this summer, and just last week I replied to someone that I really wanted to see a "dirty one" this year.

So here it is, my first flying eagle, it has alotta crud, but all the feather detail is there -

Attachments

• 1st eagle penny.jpg
    1st eagle penny.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 637
  • 1st eagle penny 02.jpg
    1st eagle penny 02.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 633
Upvote 0

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aghhhhhhhhhhhhh
a common date............ :D ;) 8)

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Very Sweet. Those are really neat coins.

I never even think much about those coins. They are hard to come by. I have yet to find one.

Bob

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Nice! That is still on my list; I wonder which is more likely, a flying eagle or a gold coin.

psgen

Apr 25, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 - White's Spectra V3i - White's XLT - Minelab Excaliber II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o I have yet to find a flying eagle cent detecting WTG. That is one to be truly proud of......what's the date on it ??? The dirt god would be to kind for it to be 1856 :D Anyways great dig. HH
Psgen

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
That's a pretty penny!
It's in nice shape. That must have been a rush!

Congratulations!

Ridley

Bertman

Apr 13, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Minelab E-Trac
One awsome penny... Get back to the park and "let er rip tater chip"... ;D

OP
OP
gold fish

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
It's an 1857. if it were an 1856, I would have started selling tickets for entry to the public showings(don't worry, I would have given out free popcorn). I'm still not gonna complain, from what I hear these are pretty hard to come by. I have bought a couple on E-bay for about $25 a piece.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread