Finnish Winter War Medal? Is it Real?

chbingle

Greenie
Dec 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I recently purchased a Finnish Winter War medal off of the internet and was wondering if it is indeed authentic or just a replica. I'm a novice when it comes to collecting medals but it was a very cheap find so I decided to take a shot in the dark on it. All I know is that the medal is from Finland and was awarded to soldiers who fought against the Soviets in 1939. Im a little on the fence about whether its authentic though as the ribbon seems new (though it could be a replacement ribbon to an authentic medal I suppose) and the medal itself just seems to be a little odd. I don't even know how so but something seems off, but maybe im just paranoid when it comes to collecting medals :tongue3: The medal is magnetic if that helps determine its authenticity, any help or additional details on the medal would be much appreciated, thanks!

IMG_4680.JPG IMG_4683.JPG

Sorry the pictures are low quality and flipped, I have no idea why that happens sometimes :sadsmiley:

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, 5"x8" coils for both. Whites PinPointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is real. I found a couple of examples on Google and all the features match perfectly. I think the ribbon is new but it might have just been stored in a dark dry place to preserve it. 195c75733c6e693a7f05449f3bf28035.jpg

Upvote 0

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
It may very well be real. Finland had no choice back then but to side with Hitler. Russia had been trying to re-take control of Finland for a long time. Meanwhile, the Nazi's were telling the Finns that the ONLY thing they wanted was to fight their common enemy from Finnish lands. So what else could they do? On one hand they knew without a doubt that Russia would have seized control of Finland and taken their relatively new-found freedom away. Or, they could side with Nazi Germany on the understanding and belief that once all was said and done, that they would still have their free country without Russian rule. It seemed a no-brainer!

Sadly, however, the US turned its back on Finland and, when Germany lost the war, Finland was forced to severely limit the size of their Army, plus they could not have any Air Force. Can't remember, but I think they were also banned from having a Navy as well.

Well, that ban expired many years ago, yet Finland chose to continue limiting its military strength. Last I knew, every young man who qualified had to serve a tour in the Finnish Army. I'm guessing this is because they want to remain in good standing with the rest of the international community, whom they will call upon for help should Russia ever choose to invade again, although that now seems less likely since Pres. Reagan brought an end to the Cold War. (Personally, I think the threat will live on for many more years!)

So, your medal may very well have remained inside its box and might never have been worn, as many Finns were rather ashamed for having to side with the Nazi's and/or due to the turmoil that happened because of their decision back then. This medal may have meant very little to the soldier it was awarded to.

I know we have a couple of members who are from Finland, so hopefully they'll chime in here if I got any of this wrong. Has been a very long time since it was explained to me.

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe yours is a fake. I don't believe this medal was made in anything other than blackened steel, with the exception of the ones that were given to foreign volunteers, which had a different reverse inscription.

Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know enough about these and the variants to know what's what, but looking at your pics,yours looks cast. The details just aren't as crisp as I would expect them to be and the background is lumpy. You can see a real difference when compared to the one diggemup posted

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread