Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sniffer said:
I use a liquid ant bait made by Terro, you just cut open the end and place it on the mound.
the ants will swarm over it and take the bait into the hive. In about three days hive and all ants are dead, the larvae will die too from lack of workers to feed them

That sounds good for your lawn, but this 'Whole Country' is completely overrun, it would take 'semi-loads' here.

Fossis................

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
the thing about this stuff is, you can use the same bait on more than one mound.
It's seems like they only take about a third of the bait and the mound is dead

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We used to shoot acetylene down into ant dens and then spark it off. Don't try that at home. Farm boys are easily bored and pretty creative. It was pretty cool, though. I had the best luck killing ants by following their trails and poisoning every single den. I think every ant den of every kind in the world is connected, so you have to get them all. Thanks to my fine work, we pretty much killed off the horny toad, one of the ants natural predators. Maybe if we brought them back, they could do some good with the fire ant.n If ya'll want a really good source of nicotine, take a couple cans of Copenhagen and boil it down. Strain it and boil it down more. You will come up with a couple of tablespoons of a black tarry substance. This contains all the nicotine and be very careful with this as nicotine is absorbable directly through the skin. You can dilute it with water and use it as a spray. As I said, you get bored easily, you get creative and make your own entertainment. Good luck, and don't get stung.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My daughter recently moved to southern Texas. I was aware of the fire ant problem and was worried about the small grandkids getting stung by them. I went to Wally World and found a solid granule to put on the mound. I found 4 mounds on her yard and sprinkled them sparingly...stirred them up first to be sure they were active. They were VERY active! Within 3 days there wasn't an ant anywhere. Only one mound has sprung up in the yard lately and my daughter killed them out. It's been several months now and no reoccurances. So, that stuff must be good. I don't recall what it is called but it only takes less than about a quarter of a cup to kill a mound. I bought about a half gallon size container for around $11.00. Also, last fall I hunted a park near their home and there must have been a hundred fire ant mounds on the soccer field. I checked it out a couple of weeks ago and they had all been killed out somehow, by the city I assume? So, something is effective on eradicating them. I also read an article in the paper several months ago about the little wasp that kills them. The article also said there was another ant that doesn't bite animals that likes to eat fire ants. From what I could gather, these predator ants eat up the fire ants and take over their mounds. I haven't seen anything recently about them however. They (the fire ants) are in southern Oklahoma already and heading north, but I haven't seen any around my part of the state. Monty

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN said:
We used to shoot acetylene down into ant dens and then spark it off. Don't try that at home. Farm boys are easily bored and pretty creative. It was pretty cool, though. I had the best luck killing ants by following their trails and poisoning every single den. I think every ant den of every kind in the world is connected, so you have to get them all. Thanks to my fine work, we pretty much killed off the horny toad, one of the ants natural predators. Maybe if we brought them back, they could do some good with the fire ant.n If ya'll want a really good source of nicotine, take a couple cans of Copenhagen and boil it down. Strain it and boil it down more. You will come up with a couple of tablespoons of a black tarry substance. This contains all the nicotine and be very careful with this as nicotine is absorbable directly through the skin. You can dilute it with water and use it as a spray. As I said, you get bored easily, you get creative and make your own entertainment. Good luck, and don't get stung.

Country boy's are quite creative, thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

Fossis...............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
My daughter recently moved to southern Texas. I was aware of the fire ant problem and was worried about the small grandkids getting stung by them. I went to Wally World and found a solid granule to put on the mound. I found 4 mounds on her yard and sprinkled them sparingly...stirred them up first to be sure they were active. They were VERY active! Within 3 days there wasn't an ant anywhere. Only one mound has sprung up in the yard lately and my daughter killed them out. It's been several months now and no reoccurances. So, that stuff must be good. I don't recall what it is called but it only takes less than about a quarter of a cup to kill a mound. I bought about a half gallon size container for around $11.00. Also, last fall I hunted a park near their home and there must have been a hundred fire ant mounds on the soccer field. I checked it out a couple of weeks ago and they had all been killed out somehow, by the city I assume? So, something is effective on eradicating them. I also read an article in the paper several months ago about the little wasp that kills them. The article also said there was another ant that doesn't bite animals that likes to eat fire ants. From what I could gather, these predator ants eat up the fire ants and take over their mounds. I haven't seen anything recently about them however. They are in southern Oklahoma already and heading north, but I haven't seen any around my part of the state. Monty

They turned some of 'the wasps' loose around here, but haven't heard anything lately.
I hope the ants that eat the FIRE ANTS come on up soon, we sure need some help. :thumbsup:

Fossis.............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Twin Digger said:
soak it in gas.......and light it. The kiler bee's are also invading the lower midwest area I understand.

That works, I think with 'West Nile', 'Fire Ants', 'Killer bees','Nutria', (eating the landscape bare), 'exotic snakes',
& all the other (escapees), we're in for some 'big changes'.

Fossis...............

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This might sound weird buttttttt,a $2 box of grits will kill'em in less than a week.The workers pick up the grit and take it to the queen,she eats it but can't digest it a DIES!!!!!

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just-geese said:
Produce Guy said:
This might sound weird buttttttt,a $2 box of grits will kill'em in less than a week.The workers pick up the grit and take it to the queen,she eats it but can't digest it a DIES!!!!!

And 15 cents forth of gasoline will kill them in 15 seconds
J-G

I too love the smell of 'dead fire ants' in the morning, GOOD JOB. :thumbsup:

Fossis................

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fossis said:
They say the last 'survivor on earth', will be the 'Cockroach', & with all the imported creatures, it may not last.
We have 'Japanese beetles', Fire ants', 'Asian carp', 'west nile mosquitoes', 'Zebra mussels'.
Not to forget our 'home grown' 'Rocky mountain (fever) tick, 'rabies', & 'chronic wasting disease', in deer & elk herds.
We have a local 'rabbit fever' from ticks, also.
Plus the 'South' is being overrun with 'Kudzu'.
Not to forget 'Nutria', which are now spreading north from LA, & all the 'exotic' animals escaped , & turned loose in FL.

It seems we are a nation of 'immigrants' in more ways than one.

Fossis..............

Don't forget our pal, the Dandelion. :-\

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
fossis said:
They say the last 'survivor on earth', will be the 'Cockroach', & with all the imported creatures, it may not last.
We have 'Japanese beetles', Fire ants', 'Asian carp', 'west nile mosquitoes', 'Zebra mussels'.
Not to forget our 'home grown' 'Rocky mountain (fever) tick, 'rabies', & 'chronic wasting disease', in deer & elk herds.
We have a local 'rabbit fever' from ticks, also.
Plus the 'South' is being overrun with 'Kudzu'.
Not to forget 'Nutria', which are now spreading north from LA, & all the 'exotic' animals escaped , & turned loose in FL.

It seems we are a nation of 'immigrants' in more ways than one.

Fossis..............

Don't forget our pal, the Dandelion. :-\

For sure :thumbsup:

fossis.............

S

seger98

This is what happens when ya pour something nasty down the holes that they don't like.......

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    169.7 KB · Views: 139
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 143

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread