Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any fire fighters on here? I'm not one myself, but my 18 yr old son is. I'm very proud of him, taking on a volunteer position, while still only a junior in high school. He started as a junior member one year ago at 17, and now is a regular member. He doesn't miss a weekly meeting, parade or dept. function, just ordered some blue lights for his car and is really into being a part of it all.

I'm making this post to ask for help. He likes Fire Dept. Memorabilia, and I'd like to try and get him at least one Fire Dept. Patch from every state or territory in the U.S. and as many as possible from abroad. I don't want to come across as a spammer, but I intend to contact via email, every fire dept. in the country that I can find. I'm realistic in my goal, I know some depts. don't have patches, or email, or will disregard my contact. But, I'd like to cover a wall in his room eventually.
So, my question to the firefighters on here is, do you think most fire depts. will be receptive to my request, to get a collection for him? Donation of a patch would be awesome, but I realize I may have to shell out a few bucks each too.
If any one would like to help me with this goal, I'd be very appreciative.
Thanks, Brian

PS. I haven't decided whether the patches will be a Christmas gift, birthday gift, high school graduation gift or for when he is certified in all aspects of the dept. I guess it depends on how many I can find, or if he gets suspicious to my quest.

T

TreasurdiggrNY

My 19 yr. old nephew lives and breathes fire department stuff and volunteers too. whenever he comes into Manhattan for a visit we always hit a few dire houses. Most of the NYC fire houses have patches, hats and shirts in the fire house "store" where they sell the items. The money they raise goes to charity or to the house itself for an annual xmas party or improvements that the FDNY might not pay for.
Here is a link to the original firestore that's been in business forever, they have some great patches as well as a ton of other equipment, good luck.

http://www.nyfirestore.com/index.html

bbqbull

Oct 31, 2006
Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X 70
First of all thank your son for me for being a firefighter.
I am a retired firefighter/emt.
Most fire depts. do not give out patches anymore since 9/11 for security reasons.
Second reason is back in the late 90's when I retired our patches cost our dept. on average of over $3.00 apiece.
We bought them in large volumes to reduce the cost.
You can buy them online as well as hats/t-shirts ect. Google is your friend here.
Didn't mean to squash your aspirations in any way here.
Mike

OP
OP
TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys.
Not at all, Mike. I realize the cost to the depts. I wasn't sure about the security issue, or if depts would even sell the patches to collectors. I googled a couple states, and some of them have well over a hundred depts each. To get a patch from just 50% would cost me thousands probably. I'll figure something out, maybe I can buy a gross amount from my son's dept, and trade them around the country. Like I said, my FIRST goal is one per state. Then as many as we can collect.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Best chance to get one would be to send one with your request. Enclose a picture of your son so they know who will be getting the patches. good luck, siegfried schlagrule

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy several patches from your local department and then contact a firestation in several towns and offer to swap patches. That's how we did it with the PD I retired from. There are always several collectors at just about any station. Monty

OP
OP
TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Monty. Sorry for the late response, been off treasurenet for a while.

patchythepirate

Mar 8, 2005
I have a fire fighter's badge from Grand Rapids Michigan it appears to have a date of 1918 in the white circle around the red center. There is an "F" in the red area and material looks like it's brass or gold?? Has an eagle on top and reads "FIRE FIGHTERS PAST PRESIDENT" I can't read everything in the white circle it appears to say "Feb 28, 1918" There is more writing too. I am looking for a serious buyer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread