Fireplace Mantle and Surround

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
This really didn't fit anyplace else, so I'm posting here for maximum exposure...

I am reworking and refurbishing my living room. After a year in the house it's time to knock out some chores and my walls are a mess. I am removing the fireplace mantle and surround to fix the wall behind it.

Here's what I know:

- The mantle and surround came from Ireland and was placed in this house when it was built in 1940.
- Whoever placed the black tile was an idiot. :-\
- It's a real fireplace with a gas insert.
- Although I kinda don't like it... I think I'll keep it. :tard:
- The wood is "Tiger Oak"

Here's what I'm wondering about:

- Is there a way to know who made it?
- When I pull it off the wall will there be a maker's name on the back?
- Might any of you know how old it actually might be? (I think it's decidedly Victorian)
- IF you are smart about these things... will you venture a value please? (I have my own opinions already)

Thanks for your comments!

mantle.JPG

IMG_3427.jpg

IMG_3430.jpg

IMG_3432.jpg

IMG_3434.jpg

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There Definetly should be some kind of "Maker's Mark" on it Jim,especially with some carving's like that.....It might not be on the back though,alot of the old maker's could have put it anywhere.The joinery will tell you alot as well.Kinda look's like some White Oak,hard to tell.I spent 15 yr.'s as a Cabinetmaker off and on and it's kinda hard to tell from here.Beautiful piece......Do you plan on re-using the piece or what.? Modified display case maybe. :thumbsup: Serious though.....I wouldn't get rid of it.Do you have to get the chimney Lined if not for the insert? Display Case!!!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Montana Jim

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Heya civilman!

I plan on repairing and repainting the wall behind it, then, put the mantle back and edging it nicely in place where it originally is. I think I'll just leave it alone really except for some detail work near the floor and maybe replace that ugly black marble tile.

The gas fireplace has been in place a long time and I expect it meets code (I bought the house from a lawyer who lived here over 10 years and used the gas fireplace, I have not used it but know it works perfectly).

I have found no maker's mark, initials, or any other visible markings. I expect that this weekend I might get it off the wall and see what's on the back.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Montana Jim,

no help from me.

but.............

that is so..........nice.

have a good un.......
SHERMANVILLE

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a Awesome mantle,
We have 4 fireplaces with this house but our mantles are just common style ,nothing special.

Nova Treasure

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
The cherub's face looks familiar, like one found in a chapel , dang, I know the name of the chapel but my recall is chit...I swear all I retain anymore is water.

Anyway, I also recall a musical note attached to it as well. But most OLD buildings do:)

No matter, it's a beauty!

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a really nice mantel, I like the carvings and the mirror gives it more style...not sure of the age but I do see a lot of these in antique shops. Hopefully you find something in the back...cache of gold coins. :o

:wink: RR

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Montana Jim said:
Thank you Sherm and Nova... maybe I'll find treasure hidden behind it! :thumbsup:

Funny you would say that,
i removed one of my mantles in my 1800's parlor and in the back of it was a piece of a letter dated from the 1870's,a bone style button,another button dated 1868 and a never used medicine bottle of "mercurachrome" with a cork top. So good Luck and you never know.

Nova Treasure

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland
JIm. I think your going to have a hard time finding the maker witout any marks but you might want to try contacting an architectuaral salvage shop in Ireland. You can do a google search.

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Jim,I used to service and install gas inserts and this mantle and suround is the coolest I've ever seen ! I like it ! It's possible that there could be initals or a mark hidden into the desighn ? Modern surround's arent cheap,so I would think that this one would be quite valuable.Have you done any searching on the web ? Best of luck with it. :thumbsup:

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Jim, I am into that kind of stuff, I'm a fine/finish carpenter.
at first glance it looks really old, but looking at your pictures, I would date it about 1940's
if you look at the flat surfaces around the mirror, all the flat surfaces have the same grain pattern, which leads me to believe that it's actually an early plywood, probably red oak, white oak doesn't stain that dark.
also the style is jammed together to be victorian. Victorian was all about mass (bigger is better) and more ornate. it was probably built on site to fit that particular fireplace.
However if you decided to sell it, it would probably be worth around $450.00
JMHO

Sniffer

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No help on value but it is beautiful ! We have real that was turned to gas log before I was born but the tile in front of it is like yours exactly the black and white I dont know if my granfather did it in the late 30's or if it was done in the early 20's when the house was built. Sorry! But it is beautiful woodwork!

OP
OP
Montana Jim

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
You guys are awesome... thanks DJ, kieser, and sniffer!

I do NOT necessarily think it's Irish, but I know (was told) it came from Ireland.
I do think it's oak, with the tiger oak pattern on the flat surfaces.
I have found a few close examples of similar surrounds on-line...

I hope I find a name on the back, but I am not expecting too...

The house was built in 1940, so this is possibly only as old as the late 1930s.

I'm discovering the makers prolly did'nt "sign" thier work like furniture makers did.

M. Granny... thanks! This tile work was only done in the last several years... the previous owner did the work...

P

pippinwhitepaws

careful removing the new tiles...may be some nice old pieces underneath.

inside the top on that fireplace surround may be where the maker left a mark. i have seen it in closests from the same era.

nice stash spot also...have fun...take your time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread