First 2018 Hunt Nuttin' Good!

WisconsinPirate

Aug 2, 2017
Racine, Wi
Detector(s) used
EQ600; Makro MK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out detecting today for the first time in 2018. Started snowing and the temp dropped so I was out for about an hour and did not get a ton of signals. Found three zincolns, one copper memorial penny, and a 1946 nickel. Oh and my favorite thing - screw caps.

The ground was cement in some spots and soft in others. No real rhyme or reason behind this. I got back home googled the 1946 nickel and saw walmart selling one for $1,600 USD, in mint condition and had an inverted D mint mark, which made my heart stop a bit. So I cleaned the nickel better and it had no mint mark at all. The bright side is if I had one mint marked D I probably would be trying to figure out if it had an inverted D or regular D on it for the next five days so at least having no mint mark makes that investigation easy. However for my first hunt I'll take it.

Even though it was not really a great finds day it was awesome getting out. Today was still better than sitting behind a desk.

20180128_170227.jpg 20170708_143737.jpg

Upvote 9

PastPursuits

Tenderfoot
Jan 28, 2018
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MX Sport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow dude !!! you are hardcore to hunt Wisconsin in winter !!!!! Good hunt !

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like you said, beats sitting behind a desk. You chiseled out a few targets and got some exercise. Glad you got out and shared it with us mate.

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
I hate when I find Jefferson nickels from 39-41 or even 46-58. They are from the right era but not made of precious metal.

One thing, if you think the 46 could be silver (not that you mentioned that) there were a few minted that year by mistake. They're probably worth $10K+. A good coin store can easily check for you.

Good luck out there!

OP
OP
WisconsinPirate

WisconsinPirate

Aug 2, 2017
Racine, Wi
Detector(s) used
EQ600; Makro MK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate when I find Jefferson nickels from 39-41 or even 46-58. They are from the right era but not made of precious metal.

One thing, if you think the 46 could be silver (not that you mentioned that) there were a few minted that year by mistake. They're probably worth $10K+. A good coin store can easily check for you.

Good luck out there!

Well that is interesting and thanks for the comment!! I just did the drop/thude test. It sounds like silver actually and not like the clad clink. Not sure but worth getting it looked at further. If it turns out to be silver it will be the most valuable coin I have ever found. Wow!

Alchemist

Feb 8, 2014
Badger State
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum Pro w/11" coil, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garret ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was out last Saturday myself...here in WI...specifically Sheboygan...the temp had moderated to a whopping 42F! No precious metals, but a pocket spill that netted about 80 cents. I was out in the woods of a nearby park...yep, some spots hard, some soft. It was good to stretch the swing arm again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread