First attempt with a Whites metal detector today.

ArthurC

Mar 19, 2013
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites M6

Garret Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just joined Treasurenet and all the great posts, pictures and videos have inspired me to takeup this great hobby!

My father purchased a new Whites 6000 di pro sl back in the mid to late '90s. He only used it a few times before he passed away in 2004. His biggest find was a starter pistol used to train hunting dogs. One of his friends lost it back in the late 60's in a plowed field while training a Pointer puppy. 30+ years later my Dad returned to the exact spot and found it in a very short period of time and returned it to his friend....rusty of course! The metal detector sat in a closet until a few weeks ago. I purchased a new battery box and batteries and decided to take up where he left off. (the battery box was missing and the power switch is stuck in the "ON" position, knob missing and shaft is broken)

I ventured out to my front yard, put everything on preset, following the directions on the back of the detector, and made my first attempt at detecting. In 15 minutes I had 1 large ring type pull tab, a large rusty washer, 5 penny's, 1 dime and a large hex nut.

I can't wait to see what else I can find. And from what ive read on this site and others it sounds like my Dad purchased a very nice detector.

Happy hunting!

Upvote 0

Davo

Dec 20, 2012
South Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab X-terra 30
Garrett ADS III
Whites Coinmaster 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good story. You just never know what you'll find next!

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
Great detector - You will find it as good as most others (however, keeping the battery contacts clean on the battery pack is important). I use the 5900 (less automatic than the 6000) for Relic hunting. I have used my 5900 since the late 1980's - I would never trade it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread