First bag - not a positive experience

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At my main pickup bank, I asked about buying their bags of half dollars from their coin machine quite a while ago. I was given the standard "we have to sell them to the Fed" nonsense. I almost got a teller in trouble a few weeks after that when she told me they had some halves they could sell me - she didn't know the policy, and I didn't know she was talking about the machine bag. Anyway, I figured it was a permanent dead-end and never thought about it again.

Last week when I picked up my boxes the teller told me the branch manager had approved selling me the $500 bag of halves that had been sitting in their vault for however long. Told me to come back this week so they could count it to confirm the amount.

I finally got back to pick it up today. What a bummer. Total skunk, 999 clad JFKs and a car wash token. Plus it was the grimiest pile of coins I've ever sorted through.

I honestly wasn't too surprised - I expected this bag would have been picked through, having sat in the vault for so long. A teller at another branch told me point blank once that they were permitted to cherry-pick from the bags and replace with coins from their trays. I guess I did this more as a relationship-building move than expecting to score a large haul. Would have been nice, though!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Worst-case scenario is that they knew the bag was picked clean and were taking advantage of me so they didn't have to deal with the hassle of sending it off to Loomis or where ever (they re-roll all their other coin denominations except halves and dollars). I can live with that. I certainly take advantage of them whenever possible. I guess I'm happy to buy and dump a bag of clad halves from them every few months if it keeps the gears greased and my box orders coming.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's a positive way to look at it, certainly there is some wisdom in greasing the gears in anyway possible. you've got your foot in the door with the bags and least. try a few more and see what happens. I have had trouble buying bags around here, never successfully got one, always the same answer. they say the count isn't accurate and they need to send it off to dunbar to be counted. it's too bad, I see them loaded all the time. so much silver passing by me, sigh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread