First Barber, a medal, and a token form a one room school!

Slipperyjack47

Apr 5, 2008
Solon Springs Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Procoil and SEF coils Bounty Hunter Lone Star
I got lucky by knockin on some doors and got permission to hunt a one room school tonight that was built in 1873, so I rushed home from work and beat it right over to the site, I decided to grid off the area and cover it slow and thorough. On my very first pass along the far edge I pulled a strong quarter signal on my minelab but it was saying a shallow target so I guessed I had just that, a clad quarter. Made a good sized cut and flipped back the sod and BINGO! this monster silver was starin back at me! Wow I never dug a barber before and that big face on that bad boy mad my night!After calming down I got back to business, I beganworking the grid and then pulled this odd token, it has "New York" on the back surrounded by a wreath and the front has "Pro Bono Bublico"? with a star and shield on the center, there is a date but can
't make it out yet without a good cleaning I believe it say 1865 or 66. Then just before leaving tonight I got a strong signal and thought "what the heck I'll dig" and came up with this medal. It has an image of what I think is an indian girl on it and bordering her it says "United States of America" 1905. anybody that has any info on the token or medal I sure would appreciate the help on them. I hope the pics turn out ok as I shot them with a cheap web cam

HH
Slipperyjack

Attachments

• Picture 77.jpg
    Picture 77.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 480
  • Picture 78.jpg
    Picture 78.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 472
  • Picture 79.jpg
    Picture 79.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 476
  • Picture 80.jpg
    Picture 80.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 475
  • Picture 81.jpg
    Picture 81.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 473
  • Picture 83.jpg
    Picture 83.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 473
Upvote 0

StormGazr

May 7, 2008
Jackson County, NE Kansas
Detector(s) used
BH Quick Silver, Garrett Ace250
Awesome finds Jack!!! You lucky dog you! Guess I need to get out hunting & give you a run for your coinage...lol (Love that medal!)
~hugs~
Storm

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Way to go, Jack. Some great finds!! :) :)

School houses are one of my favorite places to dig. You usually can score at least an indian head or two. 8)

You did the right thing by gridding it. If you have time, if you grid it going perpendicular to your original grid, you might pull out some more coins. It works. :wink:

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
The watch fob looks like a Barber dime that has had the face punched out. Very nice finds, I'm sure there's more goodies to be found. Keep us posted :thumbsup:

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
finderzzs said:
The watch fob looks like a Barber dime that has had the face punched out. Very nice finds, I'm sure there's more goodies to be found. Keep us posted :thumbsup:

You're right, finderzzs. It looks like a coin. Jack do you have a scanner?? Can you scan that for a better, less fuzzy view?? :icon_scratch:

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Great stuff. :icon_sunny:

The New York coin is most likely a Civil War Token and dated 1863. In April of 1864 there was a law passed making them illegal to issue.

Bob

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice finds,

Love that popped out barber.

HH Jer

Dr. Ace

Nov 4, 2007
South-Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Ace 250
Wow! That half is killer! I would love to find one like that. Congratulations! and continued HH!

Dr. Ace

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Nice half...Nice token...Nice fob....Did I miss anything?...Man Jack awesome stuff....Got lucky getting permission?....more likely the result of the smooth talking you've honed after many hours in the chat room... :wink:.....Congrats.. :thumbsup:

Southern_Boy

Feb 2, 2007
New York State..Vestal, NY
Detector(s) used
Fischer CZ-3D
Nice find there. I have the concept of the griding of an area. What I am wondering is could you explain it to me better? I know I am tired but I need all the tools to make me more successful at this. ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread