First Barber silver

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
I got done with family commitments early in mid-afternoon.It was hot as hell,but I knew a demolition site in a old town,so I hit it.No shade,ground like concrete from heavy equipment.First target VDI'ed in coin range,chieseled the down a few inches,next to bolt lay an encrusted disk.Looked like maybe a coin,slipped it in the pouch.Only keeper.Place was loaded with metal trash,and a bear to did.After an hour and a half and near heatstroke,I quit.Back at the car I wash the disk with water and enuough of the concrete like covering comes off to see I got a 1907 Barber Quarter.The stuff on it is real hard to get off,I got it soaking.Any ideas on removing what's on it?

Upvote 0

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd leave it alone, barbers are getting harder to find and you may ruin it. But, if you must, look into electrolysis

HH
-GC

Bertman

Apr 13, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Minelab E-Trac
Here is a link for electrolysis:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,10898.0.html

I've used this method to remove concrete from an IH penny... Just make sure you don't leave whatever you are cleaning too long... Usually 2 reps of 3-5 minutes are all that is needed... This method works great on silver... Try one of your ugliest and most worn silver dimes first...

HH Robert

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions