First Beach Hunt - St. Pete and a Penny for Your Thoughts?

kinigit

Jul 19, 2012
Gainesville, FL
Detector(s) used
Dual Field PI, Stingray 2, Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just did my first real beach hunt down in St. Pete this last weekend. Made it to the beach about 6:30 AM thinking I might be the first...well I wasn't there was a guy searching with a headlamp when I got there. As it got light I noticed another guy searching the water like I was. Eventually we made it next to eachother and reported that neither of us had found much. He did tell me he had been there since 4 AM and several others had also been there. WOW this is a competitive group! He did say that the storm had kind of ruined things by moving sand in odd places. The used White's Dual Field I had bought on Saturday did a great job of finding the tiny pieces of crab-traps, at 10-20" deep, that get brought up during beach re-nourishment. The guy I spoke with using the same detector told me eventually I will be able to tell the difference in tone. I sure hope so because it was a workout!

Also spoke to a nice young guy who was detecting who also told me that the storm had covered a lot of stuff up. It was a very good time and I made it back to the hotel in plenty of time to spend the day with the family. I netted $0.52, 20-30 pieces of iron, and some beer caps. One interesting thing was that one of the pennies I found in the water was a wheat cent (1952 D). How long does copper last in the ocean, was this likely a recent drop or could it be old? It is a fantastic hobby, only another 377days like this and I can afford a Stealth Scoop ;-)

IMG_20120906_212057.jpg

Upvote 0

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab GO-FIND 60 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Kinigit,

St. Pete's Beach is one of my favs. Me wife and I manage to leave Missery, I mean Missouri, a couple times a year and travel to Fl. One year we stopped at St. Pete's public access about 8a, had only an hour to detect, neglected to feed the meter, and a damn ticket was on the shield! :tongue3: I didn't pay it, the city traced the rental car back to me, had to pay I fine several times higher than if I would have paid it as directed. Of course, a buck in the meter would have been a wise choice! :icon_scratch:

I found a nice silver ring in waist deep water at St. Pete's, keep up the good work!

Cheers! :occasion14:

dc426

Aug 7, 2011
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
sand shark, at pro, New CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may have seen you out there. I hunted Monday as I was staying at the Tradewinds Sandpiper, and Tuesday I hunted all up and down the beach. I saw one guy looked like he was staying just on the other side of the Tradewinds Sandpiper on Monday morning. Tuesday I hunted all up and down the beach and only saw 2 other guys that I knew. Three rings (1 silver, 1 mood ring and 1 Ti wedding band).
DC

OP
OP
K

kinigit

Jul 19, 2012
Gainesville, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was only out on Sunday morning, only one night out there unfortunately:-( I was staying at the Postcard Inn. I can say for sure there were a ton of people on the beach on Saturday so I assume a lot was lost.

OP
OP
K

kinigit

Jul 19, 2012
Gainesville, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone have an idea how long a penny lasts in saltwater (solid copper versus copper clad zinc)? I'm wondering if the wheat cent could be old, or would be more recent. Thanks for any feedback.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
St. Pete is a very busy beach for detectorists. You can compete for space there, or look at some of the many, many other beaches within a 1/2 hour drive.

cra61

Jul 9, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2+
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett "carrot" Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seem to miss out every time I plan a beach excursion. Life gets in the way, some one needs a hand or the weather just disses me. I'm gonna keep trying to make it there though.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
usually pennies that are in the water a long time get caked with sand. I would say it is a more recent drop but I'm no expert.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it came out of the water looking like it does in the picture it hasnt been there too long.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread