First Box, First Post

jimmyforgotten

Feb 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I have been hawking this site for a while as a guest in attempt to absorb as much as I can before I dive into something I know little about. I've taken my time lining up the different banks, and feeling them out. Finally today, I bought myself a box of dimes for my maiden voyage...

When I opened the box I noticed that EVERY dime brand looked new, and every head that was visible was a 2013 P. I was 2 rolls in of nothing but 2013 Ps when I decided that the best thing to do is stop and post this before I potentially waste any more time.

These appear to be rolls from the mint; is there any way to know for sure?
Are they worth holding onto, or just send them into circulation?
Do I dare continue?

photo 1.jpg photo 2.jpg

I have to admit I'm a little bummed, but looking forward to the halves coming in next Friday!

Thanks

Upvote 0

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldn't know, but I welcome you to TNET

SilverHoarder07

Oct 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I have been hawking this site for a while as a guest in attempt to absorb as much as I can before I dive into something I know little about. I've taken my time lining up the different banks, and feeling them out. Finally today, I bought myself a box of dimes for my maiden voyage...

When I opened the box I noticed that EVERY dime brand looked new, and every head that was visible was a 2013 P. I was 2 rolls in of nothing but 2013 Ps when I decided that the best thing to do is stop and post this before I potentially waste any more time.

Do I dare continue?

View attachment 945958 View attachment 945959

I have to admit I'm a little bummed, but looking forward to the halves coming in next Friday!

Thanks

I would check both ends of about 5-10 rolls...if they are all same year and mint mark it is almost guaranteed you got a solid box of new dimes.

As far as what to do with them, dont return them to where you got them or anything you consider a pickup bank. Slice em open and send them through a counter if thats your dump method or find a way to send them back still rolled.

Whatever you do...good luck!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are plenty of brand new boxes circulating, I wouldn't keep the rolls. cash them in.
what part of the country are you in? welcome to treasurenet!

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Do I dare continue?

View attachment 945958 View attachment 945959

Thanks

:hello: The only way to know for sure is to go thru all the rolls. Welcome to TNET. The members here have a wealth of information that they will share. Also read the stickies up top. They will answer a lot of your questions as time goes on. Don't be bummed if the box is a skunk. You will get a lot of them which makes it feel nice when you do find some keepers.

HH
Gary

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they were rolls from the mint it would say so on the wrapper. Chances are they are rolled by one of the companies that supply coin to the banks. You got a solid box. It happens to all of us.
HH
enamel7

OP
OP
J

jimmyforgotten

Feb 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are plenty of brand new boxes circulating, I wouldn't keep the rolls. cash them in.
what part of the country are you in? welcome to treasurenet!

Chitown represent! While spending most of my life in and around the city, the truth be told my address is now about an hour west of Chicago. However, between seeing my kids in NW Indiana and managing my satellite terminal in Davenport, I really call an area along I80 from the Quad cities to NWI home.

Love the willingness to share knowledge on this site. Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! May the searches be many, and your rolls be lined with silver!

JF

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's cool, don't give up, keep on trying!
Chitown represent! While spending most of my life in and around the city, the truth be told my address is now about an hour west of Chicago. However, between seeing my kids in NW Indiana and managing my satellite terminal in Davenport, I really call an area along I80 from the Quad cities to NWI home.

Love the willingness to share knowledge on this site. Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! May the searches be many, and your rolls be lined with silver!

JF

theekman

Jan 1, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to a branch or bank you dont normally go to and ask to exchange that box of dimes for a circulated one. If they ask why tell them what you do.

I did this once or twice with no problems

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
When I pick up dimes at my 4 banks, I always say "No sparklers please", (meaning all shinny NEW coins). With the open holes on the box, you can tell almost right away if they are ALL new. If you see a few dirty or tarnished ones, them at lease you have a chance of a mixed box.
If they are NEW, I just refuse the box, no hassle given by the tellers. They know what I'm looking for.

44_Dimes

Jul 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
My main bank, the one that my entire family has accounts at, is a smaller bank and usually doesn't have large quantities of coins. I always dump at another bank that has a few branches with coin counters instead of my main bank. Well whenever I get a solid box like that, I take it to my main bank and exchange it for cash. Since they never have a lot of coin to begin with, this helps them out because they don't have to order a new box of dimes for a while. They order me boxes of halves every once in a while so it's my attempt at returning the favor a little bit. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread