First bracelet and more. Could it be gold?

frogginfish

Dec 18, 2012
Southwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2 w/11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was spending a couple of hours at a new house I had permission to hunt. I stuck to the front yard for today...the big dog in the back didn't want me invading his territory! And the owner wasn't home to put him up.
I dug several coins, nothing silver but I did manage to nab a 46 nickel and a some wheats. Also found a 1940s Longfella lipstick case.
The bracelet was dug near the sidewalk leading up to the house and was about 4 inches down. I looked closely at it but couldn't find any markings so I'm not sure that it's gold or not. Any ideas??

Attachments

• 1432659175732.jpg
    1432659175732.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 129
  • 1432659245058.jpg
    1432659245058.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 128
  • 1432659259117.jpg
    1432659259117.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 164
Upvote 5

krymesolvr93

Oct 27, 2013
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can do a gold test on it if you have a testing kit. Or you can bring it to a jeweler and they can test it for you. Hope it is gold! :skullflag:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If after digging it up it looks that good I would think Gold:dontknow:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, looks like gold to me too coming out in that condition. The clasp looks like many locking clasps that appear on real gold bracelets also. The wife has several that look like that, all gold. Nice finds.

OP
OP
frogginfish

frogginfish

Dec 18, 2012
Southwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2 w/11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took it to the small jewelry store in my town and they said they can't tell me if it is or not without any markings. They also said they didn't have the chemical test to use on it either.

If, by chance it is gold, what would the value of something like that be?

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold Goold Gooold .... looks it to me

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took it to the small jewelry store in my town and they said they can't tell me if it is or not without any markings. They also said they didn't have the chemical test to use on it either.

Depends on the weight or what you can get someone to pay also depends on the Karat.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A pawn shop can test it for you. I'm betting it's 14 kt

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Usually those barrel clasp pieces of jewelry have the stamp on the flat tongue (male) portion. I'd be very surprised if there isn't a stamp there... looks good to me.

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say that your bracelet is probably pure gold based on that bright color when it was pulled out of the ground, especially 4 inches deep, which is usually an indicator of several years buried! Keeping my fingers crossed for you. Sub 8-)

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't think I would not be doing any business with a jewelry store that cannot tell you if something is real gold or not, marked or unmarked. If they base their knowledge on a stamped mark then I have some fake marked stuff they can buy. The value depends on the gold karat and weight of the item. For example if your bracelet is 14k and weighs 5 grams it would be worth about $111 in melt/scrap value, of course you never get quite that much when selling as scrap because the scrappers have to make money too. That being said, if the bracelet is in good working order then it would sell for more than scrap price. Depending on who buys it, up to double the scrap value.
Here is a gold scrap calculator for future reference- Scrap Gold Value With Live Gold Price - GoldCalc.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread