First civil war finds - two buttons!

usatc

Nov 28, 2008
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello! I've been in central MS for about 8 months and after a half dozen completely fruitless hunts finally found my first civil war artifacts! This was an old mostly hunted out confederate camp but I still got these two buttons yesterday afternoon.

I believe the first is a confederate infantry button (no shank), and not sure about the second. Posted just-dug pics of both and results after soft toothbrush cleaning.

Question - I read about the button post but afraid to damage either or wear off details - should I keep dry toothbrush cleaning (is it safe)? No interest in ever selling but want to keep in the best shape without damaging. Thanks!!!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1460210408.074928.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1460210433.325112.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1460210451.038462.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1460210474.108033.jpg

Upvote 0

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on two wonderful buttons! Look in forums here for button cleaning tips or simply type in the search engine on the top right "cleaning buttons" and you will get some good ideas. You don't want them too shiny of course and cleaned so the wonderful old patina is enhanced.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your second button is a Union enlisted mans post 1854 one. Prior to 1854 the buttons had a letter in the shield denoting which unit the soldier was assigned to. A was for artillery, C for cavalry and so forth. After 1854 the only buttons that retained the lettering were for officers.

OP
OP
usatc

usatc

Nov 28, 2008
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I based it off of done research online but I could easily be wrong. If you look at the first infantry button on this site mine looks exactly like it; just not as crusty - http://www.virginiarelics.com/relics-for-sale/confederate-civil-war-buttons/

Check also Dags April 2013 post a bit over halfway down on the below link, which has examples of both sides' buttons and a reference link; which is where I did my main ID - http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/for...s-military-uniform-buttons-interesting-facts/

Last edited:

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not disputing your I button. It is Confederate and makes me envious as I have never found one in over 45 years of hunting! I was only talking about your eagle button. My references are three books. First is the "Record of American Uniform and Historical Buttons" by Alphaeus H. Albert. Second is "Uniform Buttons of the United States" by Warren Tice and third is "American Military Button Makers and Dealers; Their Backmarks & Dates" by William F. McGuinn and Bruce S. Bazelon.
I also have learned a good bit just from reading these forums and gleaning knowledge from the good folks here.
You may want to post these in the "What Is It" forum. I think more folks visit it than do this one. And, thank you for the links you posted. I bookmarked both for future reference.

Last edited:
OP
OP
usatc

usatc

Nov 28, 2008
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry I am in the wrong as to which one you were talking about in question, and didn't mean to seem defensive. These are my first civil war relics of any sort and the previous best thing I found with my ctx was a 9mm jacketed round in a field! Appreciate the links and will look into them as well. Ty!

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I am in the wrong as to which one you were talking about in question, and didn't mean to seem defensive. These are my first civil war relics of any sort and the previous best thing I found with my ctx was a 9mm jacketed round in a field! Appreciate the links and will look into them as well. Ty!

OK. Just go ahead and rub it in!:laughing7: One of your first finds is something that has eluded me for almost half a century!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOW! Buttons before Bullets or Minnies.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK. Just go ahead and rub it in!:laughing7: One of your first finds is something that has eluded me for almost half a century!

Man fyrffytr1 , That's a long time hunting & no Confederate I buttons , any other type of confederate dug yet?

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME FIRST CW FINDS OP!!!! ,,,AWESOME.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man fyrffytr1 , That's a long time hunting & no Confederate I buttons , any other type of confederate dug yet?

The only identifiable confederate piece I have ever dug other than some bullets is a partial Georgia state seal buckle that came out of a fire pit in Maryland. The day I dig a good rebel button is the day I will quit detecting!.................maybe. I am about 100 miles south of you and while my hunting buddies have found several Confederate buttons all I have found are Union eagle ones! Go figure!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread