First Civil War Relic...

SandyBottoms

Sep 16, 2014
Detector(s) used
Xcal 1000, II, ATPro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
First Civil War Relic + 18k Gold !

The past few days have been a hunting binge (a bit obsessively, really) fueled by low-tide mornings and by my excitement about purchasing a new detector (thanks "thedaddy"! — who, by the way, is a totally great and upstanding guy and I couldn't be any more pleased about dealing with him on the purchase. He went to great lengths to demo the detector for me, pack it well, and ship it promptly. It arrives this Thursday and I can't wait.)

Anyway, the beach has been a vending machine of great finds — countless bottle caps and pull tabs, lots of clad, cool old trinkets, a mood ring, a few 925 silver rings, a 925 Tibetan God and Goddess pendant, one nice 14k bracelet with Madonna and Child pendant, and an 18k white gold necklace (5 grams, stamped 750).

As if all that weren't enough, I found my first Civil War relic! On the beach! In NYC!

It's a Goddard & Bro. New York State Coat Button from the 1860's...What it was doing on a beach in 2015, who knows. Perhaps it was sitting on the bottom of the bay for all those years and got dredged up when the Army Corp. replenished the beaches after Hurricane Sandy. Didn't think much of it until I got home and took a closer look. The front depicts the state seal of NY, eagle over shield with rising sun and stars and stripes, the rim has 13 stars and "Excelsior", and the back reads "Goddard & Bro — Extra". Intended for NY units. Really cool.

Does anyone know if I'm supposed to hand it over to the Parks Dept., or just list it as a "significant object" when I apply for a permit next year?

Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting y'all!

Attachments

• IMG_0508.JPG
    IMG_0508.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0512.JPG
    IMG_0512.JPG
    746.9 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0516.jpg
    IMG_0516.jpg
    943.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0517.jpg
    IMG_0517.jpg
    920.5 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0518.JPG
    IMG_0518.JPG
    755.5 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0528.jpg
    IMG_0528.jpg
    859.6 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0529.jpg
    IMG_0529.jpg
    961.9 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0530.jpg
    IMG_0530.jpg
    859.7 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Upvote 0

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some great looking finds there! Just curious, are you by Conny island? Don't worry, I'm too far away to move in on your spot, just wondering. I love the face trinket you found and the steering wheel! You got yourself a great spot!

OP
OP
S

SandyBottoms

Sep 16, 2014
Detector(s) used
Xcal 1000, II, ATPro
Primary Interest:
Hi Claire,
There are only so many beaches in the city and for sure Coney Island is nobody's secret spot. Between there, Sea Gate, Brighton, and Manhattan Beach, there's more then enough beach acreage to go around. I haven't made it out to LI yet. Is a special permit required for hunting those beaches like the one NYC Parks Dept requires?

Last edited:

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Impressive, sandybottoms!

I love CW relics of any kind, but would love to find a buckle before all is done.

Congrats on the gold finds...great job!

Lorraine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions