First Cob...but fake as fake can be!

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I didn't really think for a second this 1630 Spanish Reale Cob was real being dug up here in Kansas in a pretty modern park and all, but it was a dead on quarter signal so quite a surprise when this thing popped up instead.
I have seen posts from a few others that found similar coins, sometimes in way better condition than mine and in areas where real ones could be found so a heart-breaker target under the right circumstances.
I could see the seam around the end, the front and back seem to be copper with probably a nickel coating and one side of mine has worn off so the copper is coming through.
One edge is open and it seems to be zinc or some other material in the core.
Funny thing is there is no word "copy" stamped on it anywhere which I believe is law on any novelty coins so this could have been a ripoff counterfeit fake made to make someone money.
Whatever...still cool and not the most common find so I will take it and display it.
Maybe one day I will be hunting in an area that real ones were lost and find one...who knows?

Attachments

• c.jpg
    c.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 101
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 95
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Upvote 2

davehky

Jan 3, 2007
Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 garrette pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check out one of my first few post! I found one like that my first year detecting. I thought was real, but what do I know....was new at this..better then clad fnds though...

OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Check out one of my first few post! I found one like that my first year detecting. I thought was real, but what do I know....was new at this..better then clad fnds though...

I have found a few other posts from hunters that found these, including one found in the water off the coast in Florida where it got that guy really excited for awhile and then broke his heart when he realized it was fake.
Still, not the most common find and we are members of a pretty exclusive club...or I am going to think of this find that way.
Life gives you lemons...make lemonade is my motto.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd call it a keeper too if I found it.
How many have found / dug a 8R cob ? not too many. Joeyfresh is the only one that comes to my mind in 8 years of T-net.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its a real fake, who knows maybe someone got strung up for trying to pass it off for "Real" :blackbeard:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread