MagnumMD

Nov 19, 2016
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Guys,

Found my first silver cob in VA last week, any help determining age is appreciated. It is a shield type and a P and R are clear on the coin, but I do not have enough experience with these cobs to know if those are assayer initials or mint marks, or both. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cob1.jpg Cob2.jpg

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
May be Potosi Peru (now Bolivia) mint, cob, Philip III, Assayer R.
Denomination can be closely determined by weight using 27.468 grams as a reference for an 8R coin; proportionally less for a 4R, 2R, and 1R.
Don......

OP
OP
M

MagnumMD

Nov 19, 2016
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the additional clues! How do you know it was minted under Phillip III?

Thanks again.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gorgeous. I've only found 1 cob in 30+ years.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gorgeous find, details look nice and bold. Welcome to the cob club, that one is a beauty. Great work finding that one.

OP
OP
M

MagnumMD

Nov 19, 2016
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, thanks again!

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow,
She is a beauty !!! Fantastic find...
It is Potosi and looks like to me P over full ToverR, that would tell you 1643-1648 Pedro Trevino and according to Sedwick's Practical Book of Cobs.
Magnum, your now hooked, get Sedwick's Book, it is a must have if you find more. The Practical Book of Cobs.
Many Congrats on such a splendid find, Excellent. By the way the man who minted your cob was put to death for his shabby workmanship. NICE !!!!
Realeswatcher could tell us more...but I see small dots separating the mint and assayer as well as below the denomination to the right of the shield, these are clues to further narrow the date. More clue's to use are the lions and Castles on the reverse of the coin, they are not "furry" full lions. The Castles are a bit different also. Looking into a few more books, this could be earlier...maybe even 30s. What's the weight?
Cobs are fascinating...again Congrats.
Trez

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MagnumMD

Nov 19, 2016
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info, I will check that book out!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are the only Cobs I know about. Cobb.jpg Only decoy I ever found I couldn't give it away. not this one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread