First Cool Find! But Why Does It Have a Hole In It?

Detector mom

Oct 5, 2011
Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
white's mdx 300; simplex plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a great new metal detector a few years ago, but had little kids and didn't get out much. Went out today into this great field, newly cleared for construction (I think there must have been a farm there many, many years ago) and found a lot--mostly junky stuff, but it was still a great "practice run" for me. Anyway, found a bunch of spoons, most not very old, I don't think--except for this one. Believe it's silver. It has initials O.T.G. delicately inscribed on handle. It looks like it was burned! And there'st that hole. Why is there a hole in it? Looks punched, not drilled...:icon_scratch:

Attachments

• spoon 1.jpg
    spoon 1.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 539
  • spoon 2.jpg
    spoon 2.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 530
Upvote 12

digndeep

Jul 28, 2014
cambridge,md
Detector(s) used
Xp ORX, whites v3, whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe someone used it for target practice? Can't really tell buy the pick cause I can't see the exit hole but looks close to a .22 rifle hole.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi - Clearer pics and larger ones so that they can be expanded would help. It's hard to really see anything in the pics you posted. You should try for a minimum of 100K - 200K in size. :thumbsup:

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simple, the tea was too hot. ;)

Interesting find.

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The owner hated watery soup.

Aussie

Nov 2, 2009
That spoon may have been used for preparing absinthe, a sugar cube placed in the spoon and ice cold water dripped through it into a shot of absinthe.

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aussie,Hey I really enjoyed the reference site you posted.It now appears that it could have been used to dilute absinthe.

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No idea on the hole, but I like finding silverware, especially if it has initials, it gives it character. My best to date has initials and a date inscribed. Keep hammering that field as long as you can. Welcome to the Hotel Detecfornia "You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave".

OP
OP
Detector mom

Detector mom

Oct 5, 2011
Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, everyone! Sorry about the bad pic. I will try to get better! :) Absinthe, huh? I need some of that today...lol.thanks again.

OP
OP
Detector mom

Detector mom

Oct 5, 2011
Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I know you guys are right about the absinthe. After washing the spoon, I noted that it was burned...which I believe is part of the whole absinthe-making process.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool Spoon! Congratz!

garviso8

Aug 10, 2014
hialeah fl
Detector(s) used
minelab safari/cz-21 /bounty hunter quick draw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a great new metal detector a few years ago, but had little kids and didn't get out much. Went out today into this great field, newly cleared for construction (I think there must have been a farm there many, many years ago) and found a lot--mostly junky stuff, but it was still a great "practice run" for me. Anyway, found a bunch of spoons, most not very old, I don't think--except for this one. Believe it's silver. It has initials O.T.G. delicately inscribed on handle. It looks like it was burned! And there'st that hole. Why is there a hole in it? Looks punched, not drilled...:icon_scratch:
maybe some settler was cooking a rock back in the day and oops! :tongue3:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WELCOME NEW MEMBER TO TNET ... DETECTOR MOM NICE FIND AND THE MORE YOU HUNT THE MORE YOU WILL FIND , GOOD LUCK ...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread