mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all. Well after making my normal weekly dumps and pick up I found myself with a day off and wanting to score some Ag. I live in a small town with about 15 banks that I visit every week. Some of them in nearby towns but basically close by. So I decided to head south to the state capital and see what I could find. I took my r6 (sport bike) wearing a back pack. I was looking for halves and big dollar coins. I worked my way towards the capital, about an hour away, hitting banks on the way. One bank had $80 in halves. Another had $10 in halves and $40 in Ike's. The rest of the 15 or 20 banks had a few loose halves. Then I stopped and was told oh yes, we have halves. $900 worth. I was going to take them and head for home with a heavy pack but I noticed the rolls were someone's dump and declined. I always mark my halve dumps with a black marker down the side. I'm glad this person did also. Anyway got to the capital, hot and tired and jumped on the interstate for a quick ride home. Ended up with $150 in halves and $40 on Ike's. All skunk. Many marked halves. More crh competition then in my town. I learned that I do better in my local area. I got home around one, searched, found nothing, and decided to go hit local banks again. Managed to pick up one box of dimes and two of nickels. Also one roll and a few loose of halves. And one bank I visited buys and sells Canadian. I live near a tourist area that gets a lot of Canadian visitors. I asked about Canadian coin and they showed me some dollar coins but they weren't old enough to be silver. Then they pulled out some nickels and they were all old so I took them. See pics. Also ended up with one 40% out of the halve roll and a war nick out of the nickel box. Dime box was skunk and one more nickel box to go. Oh, and I almost forgot. One teller wished me happy hunting :)
Gotta love it. HH

Attachments

• image-3204487171.jpg
    image-3204487171.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 135
  • image-286527775.jpg
    image-286527775.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 121
Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice job, old canadian nickels are cool... i've never gotten a pre 1982 nickel in any of my rolls...

OP
OP
mercury1

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BuffaloBoy said:
nice job, old canadian nickels are cool... i've never gotten a pre 1982 nickel in any of my rolls...

Thanks BuffaloBoy. I'm not that far, a few hours, from the boarder and like I said, Canadians visit this area regularly so it's not that unusual although these were mostly older then I have ever found.

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
I also live near a tourist area that gets a lot of Canadian visitors a few hours from the Southern border, Fl. They must have contests or something to see who can bring the most change with them when they come on vacation down here. I have a Small Cents book I'm working on and have been saving all the Beaver nickels I can find but haven't found many pre-60's. Nice score on the older ones, I've only found a couple of them. Out of the hundreds of sailboats, I've only found five silver ones, I put the rest back into the water little by little.

OP
OP
mercury1

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
minkybodl said:
I also live near a tourist area that gets a lot of Canadian visitors a few hours from the Southern border, Fl. They must have contests or something to see who can bring the most change with them when they come on vacation down here. I have a Small Cents book I'm working on and have been saving all the Beaver nickels I can find but haven't found many pre-60's. Nice score on the older ones, I've only found a couple of them. Out of the hundreds of sailboats, I've only found five silver ones, I put the rest back into the water little by little.

Catch and release with the sailboats huh Minky? Lol. I've only found three myself. All with the young queen. I'd love to find a king George dime.

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Would you mind listing the dates of the George V nickels you found? I could let you know if you have a key date but really I am just interested to know for interests sake.

OP
OP
mercury1

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That Canadian Guy said:
Would you mind listing the dates of the George V nickels you found? I could let you know if you have a key date but really I am just interested to know for interests sake.

Sure Canadian guy. I'm at work now but I'll do that later.

CWS

Jul 5, 2012
MA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mercury if you live that close to the border you're in a really good position to take advantage of the exchange rate.

CRH on the border towns yields crazy amounts of US/CA coin. In CA you'll get a lot of US coin and vice-versa. If you're really motivated look into which banks exhange money without fees to account holders. Buy the coins and swap out the ones you don't want and bring the US back to US banks.

it's 1US = 1.02CA. So not the biggest gain, but keep an eye on it and consider this when the rate goes above 1.10. I used to do this back when the rates were much higher. Just an extra benefit to roll hunting.

OP
OP
mercury1

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That Canadian Guy said:

Canadian Guy, the pic I posted earlier was not very good but I took a better one. The dates were as follows:
Also I'm pretty sure some of the others I got were plated steel from ww2 era and early 1950's. Mostly I like to save the pure nickel ones but it was cool to get the steel ones also. What was great about this batch was that I didn't have to hunt for them. They just had them in a box and let me take what I wanted for face. I think I got $1.30 of pre 1982.

Attachments

• image-1739848296.jpg
    image-1739848296.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 78
OP
OP
mercury1

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CWS said:
Mercury if you live that close to the border you're in a really good position to take advantage of the exchange rate.

CRH on the border towns yields crazy amounts of US/CA coin. In CA you'll get a lot of US coin and vice-versa. If you're really motivated look into which banks exhange money without fees to account holders. Buy the coins and swap out the ones you don't want and bring the US back to US banks.

it's 1US = 1.02CA. So not the biggest gain, but keep an eye on it and consider this when the rate goes above 1.10. I used to do this back when the rates were much higher. Just an extra benefit to roll hunting.

Hey CWS. Thanks for the tip. I'm about 3 hours from the boarder so not really that close. Gas and time would be a factor. But if I combined crh and some other reason to go to Canada, it might work out. HH

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Well you didn't get any key dates there, 1925 and 1926 are the one you really want, but nonetheless finding George V coins in circulation is always a great find. The ones you think are steel plated from WW2 and the early fifties are one of Canada's war nickels. During WW2 we didn't use nickel for the 5 cent coin so for part of 1942 and 1943 we made them from a zinc-copper alloy known as tombac then in 1944 and 1945 we switched to using chrome plated steel for the 5 cent coin. Then when the korean war broke out in 1950 Canada again used the chrome plated steel for the 5 cent piece for the duration of the conflict.

CWS

Jul 5, 2012
MA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey CWS. Thanks for the tip. I'm about 3 hours from the boarder so not really that close. Gas and time would be a factor. But if I combined crh and some other reason to go to Canada, it might work out. HH

If the exchange rate were back up around 1.5 this would be a lot more fruitful.

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
If the exchange rate were back up around 1.5 this would be a lot more fruitful.

So basically you exchange 10 US quarter boxes in Windsor for 5000$ and then exchange that for US and the very next day you have an easy 7500$ in your pocket, right?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread