First CW Plate

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dug this last Sunday. In a very wet and mucky area about 12 inches down
All in all it cleaned up good.
P4260168.JPG P4260169.JPG P4260170.JPG P4300196.JPG P4300197.JPG P4300199.JPG

Upvote 30

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Super nice find and congrats! I also think that the find deserves a Banner not only for being a U.S. Belt Plate from the Civil War but also for the persistence you put forth to find it. Keep searching and more will come!

Frank

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks PW.
It was Supper Time when the wife helped me transfer the Pic's, So here is a little more info on the Box Plate.
I need to get better on my Local CW history & fig, out Exactly who was where.
To the best of my knowledge It came from an area where the Union was making it's way to Kennessaw Mt. / Cheetham Hill busting their way through the MANY Confederate Lines /trenches.
Found a few fired bullets & some nice Drops as well, I know that I got a couple Enfield's From that area back in Jan .
Also got at least 2 Type -3 Williams Cleaners & along with a few diff, types of 3 ringers.
So I,m thinking Battle/ Skirmish area.

The area is Surrounded by Residential development (like 95% of the CW sites in my area) & has been hunted for many years.

The Box plate was found in a low lying area next to a creek that has stayed pretty wet at the 12+ inches it was at for the past 150+ years & when I dug it that hole area was pure Muck! I sank up to my knees in a couple areas & glad I threw my Rubber wet boots in the Car. Cause I might not have found it ; Was using my XLT in the first couple hours of the hunt but was also wearing my new Boots & each one was Caked with mud & about twice its size.
Went to the car to leave having only found 1 Dropped 3 ringer & much trash pulled my wet boots off & went to put them in the trunk and seen my big Rubber Boots & kinda thought to myself ?-Stay here or go somewhere else , thought heck I'm here , then put on the boots Grabbed the Tejon & hit many of the Wettest areas that I had not covered that well. Glad I stayed cause along with the plate I got 6-7 more Minnies.
I was a mud covered pig when I left but a happy one. LOL
Sorry for the long reply but once I get started ..............
GL PW. love the Tejon , Hence the Pic, with it.
Davers

Davers - what's the rubber band around the Tejon for? Looks like a hack . . . teach me somethin' that'll help me!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats Davers! That is a really killer find. So glad to see you make an awesome recovery. GL&HH.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's so Awesome!! Congrats!!
That one is at the top of my wish list, super glad you can scratch it off your list. This gives us still looking for one hope and motivation that they're still out there.
Just think how close you came to getting in the car and heading somewhere else, glad you stayed.

Maybe it's just my opinion but this is a Banner find to me! Thanks for sharing the experience. It is a classic picture to see the ole Tejon' all muddied up with a plate laying beside it! I'm voting banner regardless.

Super nice find and congrats! I also think that the find deserves a Banner not only for being a U.S. Belt Plate from the Civil War but also for the persistence you put forth to find it. Keep searching and more will come!

Frank

Man!!!
Thanks for the kind words, y'all just boosted the mood of a Semi-Depressed Guy.

These Days digging Civil War Relics in the N, Atlanta area can be tuff but they are out there you just gotta love the hobby & history.

Thanks again
Davers

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Davers - what's the rubber band around the Tejon for? Looks like a hack . . . teach me somethin' that'll help me!

It's no trick or boost.
The head phones I use are from the 1980's I think. & made for a Stereo System they look 'El Cheap-O' as well.
Would not be surprised if the guys at my club talk smack about them ..LOL
BUT
They have a really long Chord that I love but the chord can also hang low ,so I just use the Rubber Bands to hold up the first 12 or so inches of the chord.
As the Tejon is so Sensitive (it has not been an issue) I just don't want any false Beeps from the low hanging chord.

Ill get some Killer B's or the other Well known brand in the future. They just need to have a long Chord .

Davers

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find! Congrats!

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, that's a beauty. Great patina on that rascal.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An awesome box plate! Well worth the wait. Now your on track!

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking box plate, congratulations!

Steve

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate all the Likes & Reply's from everyone, they make a Man feel Good.
More to come I hope.
Davers

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a little perturbed that this has not made banner, yet a modern diamond ring found on a touristy beach does. I guess most members are looking at strictly the monetary value of a find? The whole story you laid out as to what all you went through to find this plate made it such a more important find than a diamond ring on the beach IMO.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread