First day detecting

hunter2665

Sep 23, 2014
We'll I finally bought a Tesoro silver u max. Spent a couple hrs yesterday trying to figure it out. After about two hours I decided to either go home and research settings or wrap it around an oak tree. I decided to go home. We'll today I started out at the beach. Then to a park. Here is what my first 6 hour day found. Except for an old anchor that's about a foot deep under roots in the park off of the beach. I'll get that at a later date lol.

Attachments

• image-2397192305.jpg
    image-2397192305.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 85
  • image-909613698.jpg
    image-909613698.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 91
Upvote 5

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats one of my backup machines & I use it with a 4" coil in the Thames. Good little starter, & good at silver.

OP
OP
hunter2665

hunter2665

Sep 23, 2014
Crusader I just have very little patience. But how is it at finding gold? Any tips you can give me on settings?. I will say one thing. I was pulling coins from 6-8 inches deep no problem in the dirt.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusader I just have very little patience. But how is it at finding gold? Any tips you can give me on settings?. I will say one thing. I was pulling coins from 6-8 inches deep no problem in the dirt.

I have the Ses. at 9 & disc at 3.

If you think your going to dig gold without digging TONS of trash, it not a hobby for you, patience is key. It will find gold OK, but you will need to dig lots of ring pulls & foil, simple. No shortcuts only lots of holes.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey... show us a better pic of that ring, and tell us whether it is real (925, 14K etc) or costume (junk).

Crusader is one of the best hunters on this site, he is correct, gold is tough to find... I have 2 14K rings in a year and a half, and dug about 6000 pull tabs. One of the very first lessons to learn, is that you have to enjoy the hunt, NOT the finds, you will get really frustrated (voice of experience) if you concentrate on finding things, and miss the fun of the hunt.

You might want to bury some good and bad targets in the backyard, and practice listening to them, so that you become more familiar with the "sounds of success". It does take some practice, but the more you do it, the better you will get... and if you stick with it, one day, maybe tomorrow, that gold ring will appear in the hole. GL&HH!

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am using a Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax and in total time of less than a year it has found me a 14K wedding band and last week a 10K w/Diamonds ring. I bought mine used for $40 so I have easily made money with this machine. PS...I love this machine!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey... show us a better pic of that ring, and tell us whether it is real (925, 14K etc) or costume (junk).

Crusader is one of the best hunters on this site, he is correct, gold is tough to find... I have 2 14K rings in a year and a half, and dug about 6000 pull tabs. One of the very first lessons to learn, is that you have to enjoy the hunt, NOT the finds, you will get really frustrated (voice of experience) if you concentrate on finding things, and miss the fun of the hunt.

You might want to bury some good and bad targets in the backyard, and practice listening to them, so that you become more familiar with the "sounds of success". It does take some practice, but the more you do it, the better you will get... and if you stick with it, one day, maybe tomorrow, that gold ring will appear in the hole. GL&HH!

Great advice Tom! :occasion14:

Be patient, learn your machines language and dig everything qaela4!

Dave

OP
OP
hunter2665

hunter2665

Sep 23, 2014
Thanks for the advice guys. Had a good day with it. Just enjoying the hobby. The ring is not real but was still awesome to find

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions