First day metal detecting

Eric H.

Tenderfoot
Mar 18, 2009
I went to my buddies house to play around with his metal detector that he's never used. (Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202 (220? dont remember the number). Started out in his backyard.. swept around his shed his just built and got several good hits that were most likely nails, didnt dig them up. Did have one good hit that got him curious and we dug up an old Natural Light beer can. Swept around his yard a little bit and pulled up a piece of soft bent up metal about 4 inches deep.. no idea what it was, probably aluminum.

After that we drove down the road to a local park and swept around the slides and swing sets which all had a thick layer of wood chips under them. Right off the bat I got a hit and swept away some wood chips and pulled up a 1971D Washington Quarter. Gave him the MD and he swept the second swing, another hit and pulled up a shiny Georgia quarter (02? 03? Didnt look at the date, knew it was a new one). He handed it back to me and the next hit was a 1979D Quarter. We were doing pretty good at this point. He swept under the last swing and picked up a 2003 Dime. All modern clad, but at least we were finding stuff. The weird thing was his detector would be telling us stuff was 6 to 8 inches deep, but nothing we dug was that deep. We were also getting a lot of hits from the metal poles of the swing set and what was probably concrete/rebar under it. Had to play with the sensitivity a good bit.

Went over to a monkey bar type thing that he figured to be a treasure trove (little kids hanging upside down dropping stuff).. He pulled a 2006 Dime and also a New Mexico quarter.

Thats all we found money wise, we pulled some interesting stuff that was just laying in the grass like foil lids off of yogurt cups and chewed up pieces of coke cans. We did dig up one pull tab which I though was interesting, I'm to young (and i'm 28) to have used cans with pulltabs and it has a setting on the machine for it, and when we dug it, it was an honest to god pulltab.

I also found a steel ball chain, like you see with dog tags and cheap necklaces, that was just laying on the ground under a bench. And he dug up a pencil after he got a hit on the metal eraser holder.

Nothing rare or fancy, but it was a lot of fun and we figured out how to use his machine. We were getting tired, so we threw away the trash and went home with our $1.20 cents. All and all it was a good day lots of fun and hopefully next time we will find something of more interest. I thought it was interesting as we traded back and forth, I pulled two quarters from the 70s and he pulled two from the 50 states series.

Upvote 0

YankeeDownSouthAdv.

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2005
alachua county, FL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its all about having fun and finding something cool, or rare makes it that much more exciting for the next trip out!!..HH Gregg

camperlee

Jan 8, 2008
belding, Michigan
Detector(s) used
whites XLT Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett ACE 250
even if you didn't find very much you had a nice day outdoors and enjoyed yourself I have seen times I didn't find that much HH

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Sounds like a fun day and you guys are getting the hang of the detector....you will be hooked in no time! ;D

Attachments

• welcome30.gif
    welcome30.gif
    10 KB · Views: 274
  • welcome30.gif
    welcome30.gif
    10 KB · Views: 271

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i run the 202 also :thumbsup: run auto notch in trashy ares. been using mine long nuff to tell the diff between good stuff n bad stuff. it will land u silver. im up to 4 this year ;D use all metel in areas like old cellar holes to get all relics. cans read big so go after smaller targets if ur coin hunting. run full sensitivity it helps on the deep ones. dig all reapetable high tones some times coins are by trash. and it might deture you. dig em anyway. hope this helps good luck MR T

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread