First Day OK Not Great

S

SonjaMarie

Hi all,

Got my metal detector today, I put it together and then when my family got home we watched the video and then we went out side with it in our own yard.

I learned a few things. We have a lot of rocks and tree trunks, and a not very old burn pile when my mom did that years ago.

I did find a few things, a couple of old soda cans, a metal washer, some large metal pieces and the prerequisite pull tab.

I think we were out for about 2 or more hours and then my right arm, which I use to swing the MD was acting up, I have problems with a lot of pain in it at times. I'm hoping that using a MD will help in making it stronger. For now I'll put Arnica Rub on it and rest it.

I did have some problems figuring out the depth locator and using the Pinpoint accurately, and I need a small trowel for digging, we were using a shovel but we need both.

The tide was in and when it is we have no beach so I need to wait for it to go out during the day to try out there.

I know frustration is only natural at the start but I'll keep at it.

Sonja Marie

Upvote 0

caratjuice

Oct 15, 2004
Washington State
Congrats on the new detector. Your post made me think back to my first day. The first thing I found was a penny half chewed up with corrosion. I started to have a little buyers remorse for a second. But after much practice the good stuff started to appear. Pinpointing takes practice but after a while you'll get the hang of it. Your right about building strength in your arms. I was an office pencil pusher with weak arms, but now I can arm wrestle with the best of em ;)

J

Jim Cal

Sonja, Keep at it! The first day you find something old, valuable, cool, unusual you'll be so inspired your arm won't hurt anymore, your outlook on life will be better, and your excitement level will be incredibly high. Lots of us started in our own yard and I still find things in mine even though I've searched it dozens of times. Make sure and use headphones whenever possible and look for less trashy places to hunt until you've got some hours on the machine. You're going to love the hobby! Jim Cal

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
Hang in there Sonja. Keep at it and you'll get the hang of it. Remember you're not going to be finding gold and silver every day. You chose a great pastime. You'll be having a lot of fun in the near future. Watch the video again after you use the detector a couple of times. Things will make a little more sense after you swing the coil a few times.
Like anything in life the more you do it the better you get. Relax and have fun!

nitro

Dec 30, 2004
Round Rock, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the Hobby Sonja, it takes a little bit of time to really learn your machine. But once you do look out there will be no stopping you. Before you know it you will be coming home with nice coins and jewelry. What kind on machine do you have. Someone will probably be able to give you some advise on it. Between everyone here someone will know all there is to about the machine you have. And they will be more then happy to help you learn your machine. Good luck and happy hunting. Looking forward to seeing some nice pics of your finds.

OP
OP
S

SonjaMarie

Thanks everyone. I plan to out again tomorrow.

Mine is a Prizm III, I'd love to find someone who knows more about my machine.

Sonja Marie

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Sonjia Marie! We are all proud of you puting so much effort into your first time out. It's like learning to walk. There has to be a first step & you took it today. In no time you'll be running along in the front of the group & doing well. Everybody finds about the same stuff the first time out so don't let it dissapoint you. Good luck tomorrow. Spotz

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
work the yard learn the sounds you want to hear.then move to a sandy area so much easier to dig!

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Sonja, that's great it came in and you got out today. Don't stress your arm out too much the 1st few times. It's like lifting weights, ?you work your way up to the stamina and soon you won't notice the ache as much. If you popped out a pulltab, that tells me that you just haven't swung the coil over a coin or ring yet. Just swing the detector slow and easy and soon you'll be posting a big smile and a "Look What I Found!" HH

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
Welcome Sonja. Welcome to the site, welcome to the fun, and as many have said in these postings, welcome to the addiction! I too had pain in my arm/shoulder/titty the first few times out. Didn't relate it to the MD right away. I swing a hammer for a living so that couldn't be it right? I just switched arms and kept going. I still switch off especially on those all day hunts. Actually I like swinging with my left hand and probing with my right. Just relax, that's the key. Remember the first time you drove a car? Gripping the steering wheel so tight your hands went numb? You'll find your rythm. Just beware that when you find something good, you'll lay awake at night, you'll stand at the window on rainy days, you'll curse the high tide, and as many on this site can attest, you'll dream about swinging your detector! Good luck and don't forget us when you find something good. ;D ~CO2

OP
OP
S

SonjaMarie

CO2,

LOL! Thanks.

Actually I can't drive, I have problems with my eyes and I think I'd be a cause of accidents if I did try to learn, so me and cars to mix.

I think when I finally even find a penny I'll be happy as clam!

Sonja Marie

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to compare detecting with fishing. A lot of days you won't catch anything but when you do it will keep you wanting to go again. First thing to do is to learn your equipment. Even though you watched the film you probably didn't retain much of it the first time around. Watch it over and over and if you have a manual keep it handy for reference. I am new at this also and I carry a copy of my manual with me. It is as valuable a tool as my detector. When you put what you read in the manual with what your machine is telling you it will eventually make sense. You have to communicate with your equipment. I started out getting the easy stuff, the clad for me. At this point in time I almost know 100% of the time I am going to find a coin when my machine gives off just the right indication. Now I am starting to go after the more difficult things such as silver, jewelry, etc. I haven't found anything significant yet except a gold chain that was in the same hole as a zink penny but I will! Visit this forum often and listen to what those successful detectorists are saying and try out their methods. Set up some known targets in your yard and try to find them and see what your machine is telling you. If done right and with enough practice you will eventually be successful. As you drive around town or the country make notes of possible sites and vow to do your research which will put the odds more in your favor. Join a detecting club if one exists in your communityi. Members can save you a whole lot of time and have done much of the research already. Also, they are most willlng to give you hands on advice. These are some of the things I have been doing and I am not getting discouraged, rather getting just that more excited about my new hobby!

alwayslookin

Sep 30, 2004
Indy
Welcome Sonja---This is a wonderful place to start. Everybody on here is always willing to give you their 2 cents worth on any subject...some actually will make sense ;D

Seriously..give it time as I am sure you will..sepnd time researching. It sounds like you live close to a beach that might be a great advantage itself...

Good luck and HH

Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread