first day out with the explorer se

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
well.........I'm impressed! i only had about an hour of daylight in which to hunt today, so i went to the old school that has been hunted to death by me and a lot of others. the first coin i dug was a 1919 wheatie at about 8 to 9 inches! i also found another 57 wheatie at about 7 to 8 inches. i was routinely getting hits at 10 to 11 inches with this thing! i have never gotten that kind of depth with my Garrett GTI 2500! this thing rocks! i don't even really know what I'm doing yet and i am already getting Superior depth with this thing in the factory settings! i also found a little clad at shallower depths. pinpointing is a little tricky, but not nearly as hard as some would have you believe. i just needed to concentrate a little harder and i did fine. i did miss not having the size feature that the 2500 has, but the depth of the explorer more than makes up for it. the weight was not an issue either. it weighs about the same as the 2500. i can only imagine what kind of depth this thing will get when i learn to tweak it and know what a deep target sounds like. it seems the stories you hear about hunted out spots coming back to life when you hit it with an explorer are true! Ive seen it with my own eyes now and I'm a believer! very very impressive! ;D

Upvote 0

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
Re: firt day out with the explorer se

Finding coins at 8-9 inches, and hits deeper than that?? Sounds awesome, dude. I may have to look into one.

DM

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey hollow grats. Glad she done u good.

I was on a shallow hunted to death beach today, set my se to const, all metal and deep on and was digging pennies, dimes quarters and nickels all modern at 10-13 inches. She will go deeppppppp.. If i heard it i dug it and i m one worn out guy now. Most of the targets, the depth screen was completly empty, others the last lil speck of bar was dark.

OP
OP
hollowpointred

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used

TheSleeper said:
Hey hollow grats. Glad she done u good.

I was on a shallow hunted to death beach today, set my se to const, all metal and deep on and was digging pennies, dimes quarters and nickels all modern at 10-13 inches. She will go deeppppppp.. If i heard it i dug it and i m one worn out guy now. Most of the targets, the depth screen was completly empty, others the last lil speck of bar was dark.

i always though that those explorer guys were eggagerating a little but now i know better. they were telling the truth! i really am amazed at the results. this is the kind of depth i always wanted with my garrett. im sold! ;D

p-pcker

Greenie
Mar 23, 2006
Those 28 frequencies are what does the trick. I have an Explorer 2 and have found that right off the bat I was going deeper than my DFX.
ppckr

OP
OP
hollowpointred

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
p-pcker said:
Those 28 frequencies are what does the trick. I have an Explorer 2 and have found that right off the bat I was going deeper than my DFX.
ppckr

i really like the DD coil it has too. much better coverage at deeper depths. im thinking that maybe my garrett would have found those coins too, but i would have had to have had the coil perfectly positioned above them to do it.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

hollowpointred said:
i always though that those explorer guys were eggagerating a little but now i know better. ;D

Now you are one of those guys that's exaggerating! ;) ;D

The minelab machines go deep. No question about it. Weight wise it is fine but if you add a sunray probe to the unit weight will become a bit of an issue.

Enjoy the new machine.

Mirage

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mirage, with the new pen point it is easy to locate no need for a probe, even today at 12-13 inches in the sand it wasn`t that hard.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, quiet, don't let others know it is so great!!!! Afterall, if all had the Explorer there would be no "hunted out" spots left for you to find stuff. :)

I am going on 6 years and 2 months now with the original Explorer and wow, I just cannot bring myself to use either my Fisher or Garrett back-up detectors, feel like I would be missing something.........

No doubt they are great on depth, great on the beach, great near and under powerlines. My original Explorer with a Sunray Probe mounted on the shaft IS too heavy, but I usually use the Sunray setup with the ML 8 inch coil, which by the way is a deadly setup in the woods at cellarhole areas..........

Don in South Jersey

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not trying to hijack your thread Hollow, but Don or Mirage have u checked out detectorpro`s new uniprobe, headphones with probe made into it, seperate freg`s and other switches to work with ur tector. Good way to keep the weight off your explorer and still have a probe.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yee-Haw Red!!! Sounds like you are quite happy with you new purchase!!!

Congrats on those finds and keep 'em coming!!!!

Nana :)

D

damz68

Hey Hollowpointred,

Dont know what I am doing wrong but I still have yet to hit 6" or more with mine. I have found 2 wheats and $5.00 in clad in two small outings. I absolutley love this machine. I was worried about the weight at first because of what I read. After using it a couple times I can not understand what the fuss is about, it is not heavy at all. I also love all the differant tones, you know when you got a coin and I have dug very little trash. However, I got four pennies burried in the yard at 5", 6", 8" and 9" and only get a reading on the 5" one so I need to figure what I am doing wrong.

If anyone here can give me all there sittings for depth, I would surely appreciate it.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
damz68, most my searches are in sand, i think the se will go a lil deeper in sand then dirt, one of the relic hunters using a se on here would be better to answer u on that. But to me try firing her up with factory presets just incase u have accidently mis set something, and try her in your yard again. If u still can`t hit more then 5 inches give minelab a call.

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
I have a Exp II Like it a lot when I want to slow down and work a area for deep targets. I also would say it is a bit deeper than the DFX. I use my DFX when I want to cover some ground you can swing it a lot faster than the Exp and it is a bit lighter also.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
TheSleeper said:
Not trying to hijack your thread Hollow, but Don or Mirage have u checked out detectorpro`s new uniprobe, headphones with probe made into it, seperate freg`s and other switches to work with ur tector. Good way to keep the weight off your explorer and still have a probe.

Yes. The setup looks good and I have heard good things of the Uniprobe. Expensive. From what I remember I took one look at the price and said - maybe when the kids are through college.

Mirage

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mirage said:
TheSleeper said:

Yes. The setup looks good and I have heard good things of the Uniprobe. Expensive. From what I remember I took one look at the price and said - maybe when the kids are through college.

Mirage

I agree also that Uniproble is great, however, not worth the expense. Although I love the Sunray , it is by no means necessary for a woods hunter like me who is not in a hurry. It is a time saver, and sometimes a scratch saver, but it does NOT find any more targets, The detector finds them, not the probe and I have had the probe since they first came out and probably have only used it maybe one or two years out of five that I have had it.

The downside of the Sunray probe in the woods with the original XS, the coil cord is to long, and the regular part of the cord is now getting stiff with age and both hang up in the brush alot. I believe Probes are best used in open areas.

Don

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the write up HP! The Explorer will be the one I look at for my next upgrade. Good luck with it!!

rosevelt

Oct 22, 2004
You Make me want to buy an explorer 2 but i just recently bought a detector, but if i get another one, that'il be it!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :)

-Mike

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Hey Don in S. Jersey...you say the explorer goes deeper than your fisher? May I ask which fisher you've got? I run a CZ7, and haven't found any machine that got deeper than mine...even my friends DFX. If the explorer goes deeper, it might wind up on my list of "things to get". I have to deal with those "hunted out spots" a lot too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread