First day out.

GreatWhite00

Sep 7, 2009
Cleveland ,Oh
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
So, today was the perfect day to detect for me. No work, decent weather and plenty of time. I never went detecting until today, and whilst I didn't find much of value, it was still a good learning experience and fun in the process.

I started in my Dad's front yard. I found a pin for the tractor, which he lost a few years ago and a crushed can on the side of the property. We decided to go to the auto parts store for a few things, so I put the detector in the back seat. I ended up getting my battery checked (in my car) since I had needed one for a few years. I needed one before another winter, so I paid the $98 something and we headed to the school yard down the road.

This machine is new to me, so I pretty much dug everything. With two of there it made the process easier. One swung and the other dug. We started on the open field, on the side of the school. We found a lot of shredded aluminum cans and plenty of tabs. There was one one can that was at least 8 inches deep. The first coin I found was a 1983 nickle, which was my birth year, so I took that as an invitation to detecting.

I wanted to unearth at least a quarter and that happened as quick as I mentioned it. We found a 1971 in the woods along with an old style Slice can, so next time I go back I am going to focus on the woods. There were some odd things such as a tag off of roses and what looks to be a piece of a flag mount. There is so much more to be covered up there that I missed.

Total for today, 34 cents in clad.

Upvote 0

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a good start to learning your machine. Once you get familiar with the Vaquero, it's a coin magnet, just like its bigger brother the Tejon. There is a lot of "grass is greener on the other side" talk on forums, but those are still the 2 machines I would still choose from, among everything on the market now. :icon_thumright:

coinmaster2db

Jun 25, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Glad you had fun. :icon_thumright: Keep at it, and you'll make the banner. After you get used to your machine, research will be the key to good finds. :read2:

Happy Hunting!!
Cm2db

OP
OP
GreatWhite00

GreatWhite00

Sep 7, 2009
Cleveland ,Oh
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
I hope to find silver, and lots of it!

The clad I found today was all very nasty, I hope the oldies I have yet to find aren't going to be this crusty. I plan on purchasing the tumbler for $30 at Harbour Freight as soon as I get out there. I won't tumble any valuable coins, of course. I am going to look for the Cen Tech pinpointer too while I'm up there.

I am going to get my research in this winter, so when spring comes I can be ready. There are so many places to search around here.

Dec 27, 2005
Bay Area Ca.
Detector(s) used
White's M6, SPECTRA V3I.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
congrats on the finds and your first day out, as you learn your machine you will find more and more. welcome and thanks for sharing hh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread