First Day Out

DevilDog812

Nov 3, 2010
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
got my Teknetics Delta 4000 this morning, and as soon as i set it up, i went out in my back hard to test it. didnt find anything but a few nails (rang up as dimes instead of iron?) and i keep getting a 50cent signal the entire length of my yard at 8+ inches? it was too muddy to dig for too long though

im going to take it over to my brother's property- it looks very promising

Upvote 0

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
Probably a river of GOLD running the length of your yard. You should dig that immediately. :tongue3:
Of course, your getting the water pipes in your yard. I get the same thing in my yard. When the ground is wet, your detector can pick these up quite deep.

Keep at it...you will probably pull something great out of your brothers yard! :icon_sunny:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello: Cru's first rule of detecting:

Trust your ears
& tape over that VDU (complete waste of digging time looking at it & it lies!)

To begin with digging everything, helps you learn the sounds, be patient this can take 6 months! :coffee2:

OP
OP
DevilDog812

DevilDog812

Nov 3, 2010
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
thanks for the encouragement guys ;D
hopefully ill be able to get out in the yard tomorrow. between school, work, and the rain, it is hard to find time

ill let you all know how much gold/silver/copper i find in my/my brother's yard :laughing7:

luckily i live in PA, so we have history from before the revolution, the revolutionary war, and the civil war in some parts ;D
and also, in my back yard, the soft ground is only 2 feet thick. anything past almost exactly 2 feet is super thick clay and rocks

Garabaldi

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Whites Pulse Diver, ETRAC.
DevilDog812 said:
got my Teknetics Delta 4000 this morning, and as soon as i set it up, i went out in my back hard to test it. didnt find anything but a few nails (rang up as dimes instead of iron?) and i keep getting a 50cent signal the entire length of my yard at 8+ inches? it was too muddy to dig for too long though

im going to take it over to my brother's property- it looks very promising
Hard to believe there isn't one coin in your yard. I would study the manual and you'll master it. Good luck and HH. :icon_thumleft:

windage

Apr 3, 2011
Mason-Dixon Line
Detector(s) used
eyes, ears, wet finger in the wind and old willow sticks, when that don't work; Minelabs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
" in my back yard, the soft ground is only 2 feet thick" that's encouraging, I hate digging past the 24 inch mark....LOL !
Seriously, this is get good slowly time. You will get it, be patient. Read everything and go dig. We can tell you some of the tricks, but only you can "bond" with this machine...
Use every way to "see" what is in the ground before you dig...use you machine as an extension of your mind...when you get a signal, listen to it and ask yourself, what is it made of, how long/wide is it, how deep/big and use your M/D to try to figure it out before you dig it up and actually discover what your ears were being told. Then recap in your mind how that "dig" just went. Remember the sounds. Repeat several thousand times. Dig several 5 gal buckets of "junk" and keep reading, listening and digging.....simply really, LOL !

OP
OP
DevilDog812

DevilDog812

Nov 3, 2010
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
thanks guys ;D
thought today was gonna be a good day to go out- no work and supposedly 'clear skies'

...woke up to a thunderstorm that has just ended now ??? guess itll have to be another day where i wont sink if i take a step into the backyard

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DevilDog812 said:
thanks guys ;D
thought today was gonna be a good day to go out- no work and supposedly 'clear skies'

...woke up to a thunderstorm that has just ended now ??? guess itll have to be another day where i wont sink if i take a step into the backyard

well your lucky you have rain, it will make for perfect conditions in a day or two

OP
OP
DevilDog812

DevilDog812

Nov 3, 2010
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
i hope so. i only need to work in the morning this weekend, so maybe ill get a chance then.

also, ive taken part of a historical map of my town and a google earth image of it now.
parkthenandnow.png

this is just a public park in the area, i think ill contact the borough and see ask if it is okay to MD there

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DevilDog812 said:
in my back yard, the soft ground is only 2 feet thick. anything past almost exactly 2 feet is super thick clay and rocks

Must make it hard to get rid of bodies...good luck with the detector.

NJ

OP
OP
DevilDog812

DevilDog812

Nov 3, 2010
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
went over to my brothers today, didnt find much, infact the only thing i kept was an old shotgun shell with some of the paper cartridge left on it still. i got especially excited at one point hunting near an old tree on the property when i got a dime/quarter/50 cent piece hit and managed to dug up a mason lid jar- but the roots were too grown in to keep digging :-\ im going to order me a leshe and probably a little eagle or other tool from predatortools

also some questions- why was a lot of iron scraps ringing up as dimes? old rusty chunks of iron and iron nails. i had the discrimination all the way up so it would only get dimes-half dollars, i ended up digging a 3 foot hole for a cast iron pot lid :laughing7: still had fun though, it was my first real hunt

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DevilDog812 said:
went over to my brothers today, didnt find much, infact the only thing i kept was an old shotgun shell with some of the paper cartridge left on it still. i got especially excited at one point hunting near an old tree on the property when i got a dime/quarter/50 cent piece hit and managed to dug up a mason lid jar- but the roots were too grown in to keep digging :-\ im going to order me a leshe and probably a little eagle or other tool from predatortools

also some questions- why was a lot of iron scraps ringing up as dimes? old rusty chunks of iron and iron nails. i had the discrimination all the way up so it would only get dimes-half dollars, i ended up digging a 3 foot hole for a cast iron pot lid :laughing7: still had fun though, it was my first real hunt

Read rule No.1

OP
OP
DevilDog812

DevilDog812

Nov 3, 2010
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
i know i know :laughing7:
but it was ringing up very high- like 99 (only 2 digit number unlike the 4 digit e-trac ones) how can i discern what is silver and what is iron if they both ring up very high and high pitched?
i have a few silver coins that i inherited (barber dime, mercury, roses, standing) ill test them in my yard, but i dont want to make a test garden just yet

also, im waiting on my leshe digger and shovel to come in the mail today :hello2:

OP
OP
DevilDog812

DevilDog812

Nov 3, 2010
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
just went out with my new lesche tools. found about twenty zincolns, a big horseshoe, and a whatisit coin. i was careful with this last coin. as it was getting dark, i put sensitivity down (so i wouldnt need to dig deep and go into darkness) and the discrimination up and got a strong solid hit. i dug for it and eventually found it, but i cant see much detail. it is brown right now, but i have it soaking in warm soapy water and only ran it under water to clean it, no rubbing (just in case it does turn out something good :wink:) it is about the size of a quarter and it concave like a little shield. ill check on it in a bit and see how it turns out

OP
OP
DevilDog812

DevilDog812

Nov 3, 2010
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
only problem with that is that it shouldnt really be completely brown should it? it should be able to see a little shininess right? i guess ill just let it soak and see what it does.

also
<--- yay full member

OP
OP
DevilDog812

DevilDog812

Nov 3, 2010
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
what kind of metal has an almost brick-red patina? the one i was cleaning is like this. it is a little more red than a nickel, though i was thinking it might be an old nickel that we used to put on the railroad tracks and flattened out. i think it is too thick and not round enough though. it is a similar size and shape to a hammered coin like a reale, but i cant make much detail out right now. it is soaking in acetone. ill try to get detailed pictures of it and post in the "what is it" forum

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DevilDog812 said:
what kind of metal has an almost brick-red patina? the one i was cleaning is like this. it is a little more red than a nickel, though i was thinking it might be an old nickel that we used to put on the railroad tracks and flattened out. i think it is too thick and not round enough though. it is a similar size and shape to a hammered coin like a reale, but i cant make much detail out right now. it is soaking in acetone. ill try to get detailed pictures of it and post in the "what is it" forum
Some copper-alloy can be this colour although a picture will crack it :icon_thumright:

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Delta is a good machine. Just get it over a good target and it will perform.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread