First Detector and First Civil War Hunt

artifacthunter

Jul 12, 2008
Central Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took my 9 year old out for his first detecting trip with his new Fisher F2. We hunted a field that the troops had passed through on their way to Gettysburg. I was working my way back to the truck when my son heard a good signal and found his first Civil War artifact - a New York staff button! The button was damaged by a plow, but he and I will always remember his first hunt and first good find! :hello2::thumbsup:

Attachments

• NewYork_button_first_find.jpg
    NewYork_button_first_find.jpg
    528.3 KB · Views: 188
  • firsthunt_FisherF2.jpg
    firsthunt_FisherF2.jpg
    931.1 KB · Views: 196
Upvote 6
great find. I started hunting at his age, I had a whites 6000 di pro, and my first find was an enfield bullet.

he will be hooked for life now, I was.

Those are Superb photographs of one happy young man and one awesome button - three firsts at least! I know how pleased I would be if I were either of you two "boys"!! Keep having enjoyable times together, the simplest ones are usually the best.
Continued Success...........................63bkpkr

YES! Way to go! Nothing like the very first!!

He's on to good things!

Congrats!

HH!

P.S. Get that boy some working gloves. Many dangers in the ground, especially for new fingers. :icon_thumright:

Last edited:
It's good to see you and your son are spending some quality time together. Congrats to him on his first Civil War artifact. :icon_thumleft:

Its good to see a child with headphones on that aren't plugged into games or an I-pod wtg on a good job parenting its great to see a child outdoors enjoying a great hobby.

Parents that hunt with their kids, wont have to hunt for their kids. Keep him digging.:thumbsup:

NICE FIND, GREAT TO GET THE NEXT GENERATION STARTED IN OUR HOBBY, HERES MY 8 YR OLD-LITTLE DIGGER I CALL HIM---WE HIT AN EARLY 1800s CELLAR HOLE TODAY, OUR FINDS WERENT ANYTHING MAJOR BUT WE HAD A GREAT TIME IN THE WOODS-----DFX 001.JPGDFX 002.JPG

That is just awesome man !

nice find congrats to your son HH

Great find!

Thanks everyone for the encouraging comments. I thought it was fun finding stuff myself, but it is even more fun to watch my son get excited about his finds! We hit an elementary playground last night and found some pocket change and a cheap piece of jewelry. We will save up the common change to buy a decent silver coin in a few months (and we hope to find a few in the mean-time).
Happy Hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back