First Dime Box and 2 Questions

ancesthntr

Apr 15, 2011
I got my first box of dimes yesterday from the bank - alas, the pungent odor of skunk stink let me know that there was no silver. There were a couple that looked like they had potential, but they just turned out to be clads in lousy condition or else very dirty (black rims, which could have been tarnished silver).

I was in Walmart this morning, and picked up all 9 rolls of dimes that the Woodforest had (incl. 3 CWRs). Again, no luck. I will dump all of these tomorrow and start again.

Question #1: does anyone think it worthwhile to save the 2009 dimes (lowest mintages since the 1950s, esp. the Denver dime at about 50 million)?

Question #2: does anyone bother to look for brand new dimes in superior condition, on the theory that they could be graded by a company like PCGS and sold on Ebay or elsewhere?

Thanks, all.

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
#1 Save all 2009 I find.
#2 Even at high grade, it would cost much more to have it graded than the true value would ever reach.
HH
enamel7

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
enamel7 said:
#1 Save all 2009 I find.
#2 Even at high grade, it would cost much more to have it graded than the true value would ever reach.
HH
enamel7

I save all the 2009 dimes as well. And I did keep a couple other dimes that were in Amazing Condition, but only a few...it all depends what you are doing it for. I personally Collect Coins..So I keep ones that many wouldnt...If your just in it for the Silver ...then toss them

OP
OP
ancesthntr

ancesthntr

Apr 15, 2011
I also collect coins...though the cost of certifying any modern coin if you don't have a REAL good idea of how it'll grade is a big deterrent to sorting through all of those dimes for the 2009s (which is hard on the eyes to begin with without looking in great detail at 5 or so dimes per roll that have new-looking rims). I guess that I'll just stick with the 2009s - like what I do with nickels, just look at dates nothing else.

Thanks, both of you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread