First event this weekend

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never done this before where I set up and sell to people. But a friend of mine is having a cancer benefit and they're supposed to be 300+ people there so she asked me to set up as a vendor selling jewelry. Figured this would be a great way to get rid of tons of stuff I don't want to post or have time to post online so I said I would do it. She called me and said that the event is this Sunday, that I need to be ready by 4 o'clock set up by probably 430. I have to dress up. Ha ha it's even a masquerade ball so that should be interesting..

So I have a couple questions for you all that I have done this in the past.

1- should I accept credit cards? This isn't a normal Yard Sale so people probably won't have a lot of cash on them although it is a cash bar. I'm set up with a square account, I just haven't used it very much.

2- should I sell gold or just stick to Sterling and costume? I don't want stuff to grow legs and I'm not sure if I will have much competition or much interest in what I'm selling. I'm not sure what type of people are going to this thing... I'm assuming they might want way more fancier stuff and I even have. But I'm also kind of playing the safety card because I don't want to get robbed walking out of the place either. This is on my mind Of thoughts...

Thank you for your advice for any help. I'm really excited and nervous at the same time. I would love to have somebody go with me but everyone I asked keeps turning me down...

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you should take a little bit of gold with you on this one. The credit card thing is up to you. If you have the ability to use it, it may be to your advantage. I'd hate to see you loose a potential good sale because they didn't have a bunch of cash on them and you didn't take cards. Good luck and keep us posted.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have Never set up at a benefit before but have attended one or two. My sis in law was running for state office position, probably one of the lowest level. We held a fund raising benefit for her. Had a lot of people show up. All walks of life were welcome but most were well off. Along with the rich, had Govenors, Entertainers and Pro Football coaches show up. And then I showed up. So be prepared for it all. One thing you will more than likely not get robbed. Most events like that have security they just dont wear the security uniform. If you get the right person or people to buy from you all the others will follow. Minions at their best. Will any of the proceeds be going to the benefit? Good luck.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have Never set up at a benefit before but have attended one or two. My sis in law was running for state office position, probably one of the lowest level. We held a fund raising benefit for her. Had a lot of people show up. All walks of life were welcome but most were well off. Along with the rich, had Govenors, Entertainers and Pro Football coaches show up. And then I showed up. So be prepared for it all. One thing you will more than likely not get robbed. Most events like that have security they just dont wear the security uniform. If you get the right person or people to buy from you all the others will follow. Minions at their best. Will any of the proceeds be going to the benefit? Good luck.

I didn't think of famous people. Maybe I will take my daughters autograph books from Disney World and see if we can add to it! Cinderella, little mermaid, Mike Tomlin, Dan Marino! That would be awesome! I really have no idea what to expect. It should be fun I'm trying to get my buddy to go with me but he said it would be weird if both of us were together dressed up up at a masquerade ball. So I told him to ask his wife if she would go LOL. Sadly my wife's not interested in going... Boo!!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would verify if all proceeds go to the benefit. Normally that's how these things work or at least a significant percentage. You definitely need to clarify that

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would verify if all proceeds go to the benefit. Normally that's how these things work or at least a significant percentage. You definitely need to clarify that

That's good. I'll text her right now. Although I did text her about how many people she's expecting to show up and never got back to me. I hope it's not something where 10 people show up..

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like well-to-do people will be attending, I think cash/check will be fine. Bring some gold, yes. I did 3K in jewelry sales at my last yard sale. Saturday/Sunday. I love setting up at flea markets/yard sales. I don't do it nearly enough. Occasionally a piece walks. Keep your Tiffany and gold locked up and right under your nose, or a helper's nose at all times.

Good luck!

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Please don't take any offense but, wow! You sound like a worry wart. Just jump in. Do it! Bring a lot, display as little or as much as would fit the crowd when you are there to gauge it, and if you're worried about getting robbed, carry a weapon.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Make sure that Square is working!

When I do art shows and sell Jewelry 75%+ charge their purchases.

The nice thing is with Square its in your account the next day unlike paypal.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please don't take any offense but, wow! You sound like a worry wart. Just jump in. Do it! Bring a lot, display as little or as much as would fit the crowd when you are there to gauge it, and if you're worried about getting robbed, carry a weapon.

Sorry, I inherited that from my grandma and my mom. I also learn lot by asking questions. And I prefer to ask questions to those who have done the same thing as I'm about to do. So please forgive my way of learning.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure that Square is working!

When I do art shows and sell Jewelry 75%+ charge their purchases.

The nice thing is with Square its in your account the next day unlike paypal.

My phone gets reception like nowhere. So I think I'm going to take my sons phone and my wife's with me also. Hopefully one of the three will work.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well crap they canceled the event. They didn't sell very many ticket sales. They said moving it to February.

Last edited:

MotherOfGeeks

Apr 26, 2016
Washington
Primary Interest:
Other
Bummer, all the planning and they -pft. If you do anything in the future I would also chime in for taking credit cards. When I was cookie mom for our local girl scout troop and the girls who had the ability to sell cookies with a square sold 15% to 20% more boxes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions