First ever Field Site Success!!

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello fellow dirt fishers. After 3-4 futile efforts trying to locate a Mill site, and finding a few nails, shotgun shell heads and a couple memorials, I followed up on another field site yesterday, and I was denied permission, and could not locate the land owner for another site. So today's score was a HUGE Success for me. I stopped and talked to the farmer (land owner) and he said sure go ahead. He told me he had no clue there was ever an old homestead on his property and had never seen any signs of one in the field.
So I followed the garmin to the exact coordinates and started hunting. I continued to make 15-20 foot perimeter loops with no luck (signals or signs ie: broken bricks, crockery or glass) after about an hour I was pretty discouraged. Finally I worked my way into a grassy area (wash out) between ridges in the field and found the pocket knife, their always cool to find, but not indicative of the time period I was hoping to find. I was contemplating leaving when I crossed from the wash out area into the bean stubble probably 100 feet from my original starting point and immediately I started seeing broken pieces of bricks, this peaked my interest! Very quickly i found the first of 10 buttons and I was stoked! In the second hole I dug, I found the piece of 8, now I'm in the stratosphere! This little piece of Silver was hard to locate it came out of the hole in my clumps of dirt and took 3-4 minutes pin-pointing it, as you can see it is not shiny Silver like I'm used to seeing. When I did find it and wipe it off the H I S was staring back at me, I knew immediately what I had just found, and that's because about 3 weeks ago I found my first ever 1/2 Reale, so when the H I S was staring back at me I about fell over. I also scored an LC, and while trying to take a picture, I figured out my camera memory was full up and I couldn't get a picture of it in the hole, I love photoing before removing my finds. So I'm setting there trying to go to settings and free up memory (with no luck) and finally decided you're running out of daylight and if you're not swinging your coil you won't find anything! I grabbed the LC, filled the hole took 4-5 steps and snagged my second LC for the day!! The green LC I'm having trouble getting the date, the other one is an 1820. And finally I scored my first ever mini ball.

Sorry so long and windy, but I had a Great, First ever Field Hunt Success, I can't wait to get back out there! thanks for looking, Bill

Attachments

• photo (26).JPG
    photo (26).JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 135
  • photo (27).JPG
    photo (27).JPG
    53 KB · Views: 113
  • photo (28).JPG
    photo (28).JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 130
  • photo (29).JPG
    photo (29).JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 141
  • photo (30).JPG
    photo (30).JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 133
Upvote 13

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a fantastic hunt and I'm very happy for you. It feels so good to finally feel how good a hunt can be. That Spanish silver piece is a great find and 1820 was my first LC as well. This will motivate you big time. Keep doing that research and keep the great finds coming. Great job

OP
OP
Metal Illness

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Ahab8, and yes I'm motivated. Field hunting is so cool, no Zincolns and clad to deal with! I will be doing more of it!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Ahab8, and yes I'm motivated. Field hunting is so cool, no Zincolns and clad to deal with! I will be doing more of it!

Some of my best hunts have come way out in the middle of nowhere. Not necessarily fields but on the edges of historic rivers and I've had some incredible hunts on islands before. It is so nice to hit an area with a colonial hot spot and very little trash. My first 2 Reales came from an island and the other ones came from the edge of a river. The cob and tree coin did as well. A lot of activity took place at these areas. Keep up the good work. You've got my attention there my friend. I love seeing super motivated guys out there putting in the work

OP
OP
Metal Illness

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your in an area for the colonial finds. I know they don't come by accident, you have been well rewarded for the time, effort and research you invest in our great hobby. I feel like a whole new avenue of detecting just opened up for me, and hey here in Ohio I'll take whatever comes my way! Big congrats on your Banner finds, I'm jealous but happy for you!!! lol

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro w/ProPointer/White's DFX 300/White's DFX/White's Eagle Spectrum/Radio Shack (Bounty Hunter)/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is truely awesome. Hit that place harder.

3RINGER

Feb 1, 2009
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
GPX 4800, Blisstool V6, AT Pro, Makro Racer, CZ3D, XL PRO, Nokta Relic, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's one sweet spot ya got there, have a ball and hope to see more good post to come!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. You're well on your way to some incredible finds. The cut Spanish is an awesome find. It's pretty easy for me to pick out the people that really have the passion for it and will go all in. I want to be the best at everything I do and I get a bit obsessive to say the least. When I started detecting last September I had old books and maps and old deeds spread all over my house. I thought my gf was going to get fed up and leave me lol. But she bought me the T2 so it's really her fault :-). There are so many incredible finds waiting for us in the ground. If you continuously put yourself on great early sites and dig every signal you will be rewarded with lots of great stuff.
How long have you been detecting?

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super hunt ! Looks like the fertilizer was working on your LC's. I see my fair share of harsh soil. It's not kind to copper for sure. If Spanish doesn't get ya motivated nothin' will. Good luck

OP
OP
Metal Illness

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahab, I started in the fall of 2010. Two weeks in, I had found my first Indian (1895). Then on the same day I found a small gold wedding band and a 1912s Barber dime. My first ever Gold and Silver coin came on the same day and I was hooked. Within two months I had my E-trac. Hunted hard in 2011 and 2012. Lost my job in June of 2012, went back to school in Jan. 2013 and for two years now it seems like all I do is go to school and do homework, very little free time anymore. So in 2013 and 2014 I have probably only been out 20 times?? I'm on winter break now, and needless to say taking advantage of it!! lol

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything happens for a reason and soon you will have more free time. I have very little time as well. I actually think it is helpful sometimes. I know that when I get to hunt I really try to make the best of it and try to put myself in the best spots and really zone in. If you went every day you might not be as locked in. I'll take one killer hunt over a ton of so so hunts any day. Enjoy your break. I'll be looking forward to your good finds

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best stuff that's left out there these days...is in the fields. Congrats on some excellent finds.

-Buck

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice finds congrats on the success and thanks for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread