First few keepers with New/Used machine

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
About a month ago, I bought a used CZ-5 with the 8” coil, in VERY good condition, for a pretty reasonable price, and I’ve been tryingto get a grasp on the thing ever since.
I’m starting to REALLY like using it now.
Although I was completely out of commission for about 2 weeks in late April, due to a nasty bout with the flu, I’ve managed to get out 5 or 6 times for a few hours in the last 2 weeks.
Here’s a couple of photos of an abandoned house at the site I’ve been “hunting/learning machine” at lately. It’s an old farmhouse that I found on the 1873 Atlas of my area. Took me a little legwork to find the owner, but I did, and after a discussion with his wife, they gave me permission.
You could hunt a lifetime on this farmland and never be done, but as of my last visit last night, the grass is too tall for swinging anymore. So I’ll have to wait now till they cut the fields. And this is in an EXTREME rattlesnake area. There’s a million ways to get killed on this property, so I wont hunt without my cell phone zipped in my pocket.
Anyway, here’s the first goodies found with my new toy. These were found over the course of the last 2 weeks.
The 28 Merc was about 8 inches deep, and rang out loud and clear at the highest discrimination level. That was my first silver coin with the CZ-5. I was happy to find my first “wilver” with it, and very impressed with the machine. Both the Rosies were very shallow, less than 4 inches.The 1899 Barber dime was VERY deep. It was around 10” down and still gave a nice sound all the way up to full discrimination on the detector. The Quarter was in the 8-9” range, great sound . And the 1892 Injun, which is easily the best condition dug Indian I’ve ever seen, was somewhere near 10“, and it gave a nice sound all the way up to full discrimination. (Although I’ve air tested some other Injuns that “disc out” just above foil).
A barely discernible 2 cent piece, at only about 5 inches, that only made it up to 4 on the CZ-5’s disc knob, but still had a high tone. My closest guess on the date would be an 1868. I’ll probably never know for sure.
And a gold ring. Which was only about 4-5” deep, and had about the exact same characteristics as the 2 center to the CZ.
Also, I returned to another of my old sites that I was sure I “Hunted out”, and pulled out this pretty nice 1853 Large Cent, from this small little area that I went over at least 10 times before! I’m not lying when I say I feel this coin was a foot deep or more. I couldn’t believe the depth of this coin. A good signal, that still rang clearly at the highest discrimination on the CZ-5. Thank God I can make big plugs here. I cut this plug almost a foot wide, and it easily took up 10 inches of soil with it when I pulled it up, and I still had to dig down a few inches more to find the coin. THAT moment made a Serious CZ believer out of me!.
The large Cent was NOT foundat the farmhouse pictured.
So I think I’m pretty happy with this new toy. I’ll use it this whole summer and see how I do.
Oh, and as usual, I always dig TONS of garbage, bullets, pulltabs, and clad etc, that I never mention.
And the deep nails are still messin’ with me some too.
But I’m really impressed with the depth capabilities of this CZ-5.
Anyway, I wish everyone continued success, and happy hunting!.
Thanks for looking.
T.B.K.

Attachments

• Forum 1.jpg
    Forum 1.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 615
  • Forum 2.jpg
    Forum 2.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 617
  • Forum3.jpg
    Forum3.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 612
  • Forum 4.jpg
    Forum 4.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 606
  • Forum 5.jpg
    Forum 5.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 599
  • Forum 6.jpg
    Forum 6.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 604
  • Forum 7.jpg
    Forum 7.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 597
  • Forum 8.jpg
    Forum 8.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 585
Upvote 0

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
:thumbsup: Glad to hear you did the right thing and found the owners first!
It always pays off in the long run. Great bunch of finds and glad your enjoying the CZ. Happy Hunting

Desertfox

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Man that sure is a prime looking spot to be searching. Great finds so far. I think there is a Morgan waiting in the turf.....jgas

JimBeHuntin'

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2007
Down East North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (As of 10/2011)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool old house site and really great coin finds ... nice photos as well ... congratz and continued good hunting ~ Jimmy

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs BK. You'll LOVE that CZ. Hang on to your britches if you ever get to pop a 12" Sunray coil on that baby :thumbsup:...You might be diggin' Chinese coins :icon_sunny:

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
very nice! That silver and gold are awesome! I can't believe you found that at that old site! :thumbsup: Happy Hunting! :icon_sunny:

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Glad to hear you got over the flu in only 2 weeks; my bout hung on forever!

Very impressive array of finds! Many people hunt a lifetime and don't do as well!
The Indian's in remarkable condition.

GRB

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
Man those are super finds!!That gold ring looks sweet,what Karat and weight?That site is going to keep you busy.Sorry about those rattlers,on LI the last timber rattler was wiped out over 100 yrs ago,no poisonious snakes left,thank the Lord!!

Damien12

Apr 2, 2008
Glren Allen , Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
Congrats. I use the Fisher CZ -5 also. Had it about 6 years and yes you wil pick up nails that sound the same as coins. But I have dug stuff over a foot deep also.! Found an 1828 Large Cent and a 1918 mercury dime in a local park that had been "hunted out" with this machine. It is heavier than the newer ones so I mount it on my belt and swing all day! Great finds and a great location. Watch the snakes and keep on hunting! :tongue3: :thumbsup:

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds! Love those old homesites the best.

Brian

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
That looks like a sweet spot to hunt.

OP
OP
The Buzzard King

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
silverfreak said:
Nice digs BK. You'll LOVE that CZ. Hang on to your britches if you ever get to pop a 12" Sunray coil on that baby :thumbsup:...You might be diggin' Chinese coins :icon_sunny:

lol. I'm thinking about gettin' the 10 1/2' coil for it very soon. I hope that will be enough to get me by for this season. Although I think I'm doin' OK now with just the 8.
I can pinpoint so good with the 8, it's like I'm scared to use a bigger coil! :D lol.

Cr4zyH0rs3

Mar 3, 2007
MA.
Detector(s) used
X-70 & Myself
Exactly if that machine is used its most certainly doing the trick.

Really neat finds on those coins especially on the large cent. :thumbsup:

sndman60

Jan 31, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300
What a great opportunity. Great finds as well. That place looks like it will keep you busy for quite some time. I look forward to seeing more of the finds from this place. WTG

Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread