Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hit the first field site of the new season today, but only a small area of this huge property was huntable after the corn was recently cut. I've hunted this part of the site before with only a few turn-of-the-century finds made, so I wasn't expecting much. But out in the middle of the field I got a random signal that was in the flat button range. When the target first revealed itself I could see the edge of a small silver disk. Thought it was a gilted flat button, but I was shocked to see that it turned out to be a very thin colonial silver coin dated 1788. I couldn't see much detail due to the black tarnish, but it had an unusual design that I didn't immediately recognize. But it didn't appear to be like any spanish or british silver I've previously dug. When I got home I did a little light electrolysis which did a good job revealing more details. But I'm still not sure what this is. Can someone help with an ID? The other finds were rather paltry, but I was quite happy with the day's effort as colonial silver is always at the top of my list.

Attachments

• 1788 before.jpg
    1788 before.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,747
  • 1788 after.jpg
    1788 after.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,747
  • 091611a.JPG
    091611a.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 1,745
Upvote 0

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
umrgolf said:
Indyfan73 said:
nice digs let us know what the colonial coin is i have a thought but keep us all informed

It has been id'ed for quite awhile now. Its a 1738 half reale from spain, referred to as a pistareen.

Nice I.D. Jeff :icon_thumleft:, some people just don't pay as much attention. It's very apparent it's a Phillip V 1/2 Reale Pistareen, nice find :wink:

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if you know or not but that one piece is from a musket trigger guard.Seen on english Iron Barrel Flintlock Blunderbuss (circa. 1815 )at least.The rest of your finds are cool also. :wink:
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:

Attachments

• MVC-006F[1].jpg
    MVC-006F[1].jpg
    64 KB · Views: 1,082

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Congrats on your first for the year! I am sure there will be several more to come, nice finds.
-Evan

Nate in Ga

Apr 2, 2009
usa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Timekiller said:
Not sure if you know or not but that one piece is from a musket trigger guard.Seen on english Iron Barrel Flintlock Blunderbuss (circa. 1815 )at least.The rest of your finds are cool also. :wink:
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:

NICE EYE!

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Mike

Woodland Detectors said:
:hello:
Very nice silver Bill. Way to start off the season my friend. Will you be attending this fall's DIV?

I was signed up for DIV XIX, but had to drop out. Good luck to you! And congrats on the newborn. I have a daughter named Christina too, but she's 26 years older and getting married next year. Boy how time flies.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs Bill, I like the triggar guard finial. Nice eye Pete.

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice oldie! !!! MR TUFF

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions