First find ever.

Creekimp

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am completely new to metal detecting. Bought a used Garrett Ace from a guy on Craigslist. Ugly, but I'm told it's not a bad beginner's rig.

Have been dying to get outside and try detecting for the first time. Got my chance today to walk up in the woods on my property. At first, I couldn't figure out if I was doing things right, because there seemed to be a lot of sound and chatter from the machine. Thought...crap, maybe this thing was cheap because it's broken. Started for home and continued to sweep for the hell of it. Hit a very different sound. Very loud and clear, distinctly unlike the chatter I'd been picking up.

Just under the soil's surface, I found a .22 shell casing. Which i realize is probably junk to you old pro's....but to me, it was pretty exciting. Was just so thrilled to find something!

Looking forward to our nice warm 55 degree day tomorrow. Thinking of going to a local park.

My best friend is very into history and antiques. Figured I might try to get her interested in talking walks and detecting with me.

Just wanted to say hello and say thanks for posting all the cool photos of the great stuff you're finding. It's pretty inspiring:)

I'm in Southwest Michigan near Battle Creek.

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first find. We went out today not far from BC but the ground was froze in most places. It didn't stop us from chipping some finds from the grind. Check out the local club at swmss.org

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet and to a great addictive,obsessive,can never get enough of....hobby.

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first .22 shell casing. :thumbsup: The Ace 250 is a good place to start. Try to find some old places to hunt and the finds will come.

HH

Brentallica

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first of many finds. Good luck!

Digginrebel

Feb 23, 2016
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to an awesome hobby. A .22 hull is a small target, thus good you can find one. An old Garrett Ace is a good starter machine for sure. Not too familiar with them, but it may have a sensitivity knob you can adjust to calm the noise. Or you may be in a "hot" area. As you walk around with your coil low and level, notice the changes in your ears. If you find a quiet spot, then move back into chatter - may be trashy is all. Think the machine may be alright, just they have a learning curve to some degree. Stick it with and good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread