first find help

T

timeseeker1

i found a small copper container of sort with a single gold coin 1876 1/2 dol. and a map on some type of cloth lots of symbols to which i have no clue. i know hills,water,trees, basics... anyway this map is dated 1832 some fading but very clear. i will post a pic of coin but NOT map you can understand. here are some symbols::: a circle in a circle, a triangle with a circle and a dot inside, looks like large- n- 1/2 lightly shade 1/2 with 3 squiggly lines...... need to know where i can find out what these symbols are. the area i was in has lots of history few official records. no banks... curious;;;;; why only 1 single coin??? ??? ???

Upvote 0

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Somebody is having some fun somewhere.... no half dollars were made out of gold!

What's the coin look like? Can you describe it?

Did you dig the copper container up? It would be odd that the map survived that many years in the ground.
Please tell us more.

rck_1

Oct 9, 2004
Knightdale, NC
Pictures would be nice, A 1/2 dollar gold coin? possibly worth millions as a one of a kind.

I can already see where this thread is going!!!!

randall61

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2004
Guntersville,Alabama
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236x2,viper trident
symbols are indian ...triangle should mean three trees and gold buried in the center.....so says my granmother her mother was full blooded cherokee,good luck.

OP
OP
T

timeseeker1

the coin is octagon shape 8 sides it has a Indian head in center of coin and stars around edge with the date 1876 under Indian head. on reverse side there is a wreath around the edge in the center of the wreath looks like this:            

1/2
                                      DOLLAR
                                         CAL
yes the container was buried 2 feet on hillside having a hard time trying to get a picture the coin is very small like around a half inch in diameter

the map itself is 12"x18" has a date 1832 and is made of some kind of cloth but not colth i mean it is very plyabile but dont flop like cloth you hold the edge and it forms a curve it dont flop down

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The map was dated 1832 and the coin 1876 hummm??? You must have a treasure to make a map. Why would someone make a map and 44 years later put coins it the spot.

Best,

Chagy..........

Were did you find it???? only you have the map.........

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
TIMESEEKER, INTERESTING, VERY, INTERESTING!!! trk5capt...

Attachments

• JOHNS DETECTING PICS 139.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 139.gif
    1.9 KB · Views: 213
  • JOHNS DETECTING PICS 140.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 140.gif
    2.5 KB · Views: 214

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
timeseeker1 said:
the coin is octagon shape 8 sides it has a Indian head in center of coin and stars around edge with the date 1876 under Indian head. on reverse side there is a wreath around the edge in the center of the wreath looks like this:

1/2
DOLLAR
CAL
yes the container was buried 2 feet on hillside having a hard time trying to get a picture the coin is very small like around a half inch in diameter

the map itself is 12"x18" has a date 1832 and is made of some kind of cloth but not colth i mean it is very plyabile but dont flop like cloth you hold the edge and it forms a curve it dont flop down

I think the gold coin was a privet mint that was made shortly after or during the california or other associated rushes. Depending on the coin, it could be worth a lot. Hopes this helps, try asking for help on the treasure symbols (i think) forum

-GC

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread