First find in back yard

N

Newbie1967

I know it's not much compared to what I see other folks find, but yesterday was the first time out ever, and my son and I went to our back yard for maybe 25 minutes before it got dark. We have a very small back yard! But in that short time we found 6 coins - all modern (70's or newer), and with a combined face value of 23 cents, but I couldn't be happier! I'm hooked! :D

We're going back out today to finish up in the back yard, and then head to the local school to see what we can find.

Jim

Attachments

• March 5 2005_1_Small.JPG
    March 5 2005_1_Small.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 419
Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a Great Start to me, Jim. Congrats on the FINE Beginning ;? 2 NICKLEs TOO ? WOW? :)? ? jeff

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
First finds are always speacial, WTG!
Sounds like your having fun, and thats what it's all about.
As for finishing up your yard today, you may give up on it and go somewhere else, but if it's anything like my yard there will be targets there for years to come...
Welcome to the forum, and Happy Hunting~

weldermark

Jan 17, 2005
LOU-EVIL KY
Detector(s) used
white's DFX
way to go Jim,you did good,i was out for two hour's yesterday and came home with12 cent.....
it's all about the fun.

HH Mark

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim, welcome to our addiction! Great finds for a first time out, and it sounds like you had fun, too! Enjoy searching your own yard, I sure enjoyed hunting mine! Good luck!

nitro

Dec 30, 2004
Round Rock, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the nice digs Jim. Let us know how you do on the rest of your back yard and the school. I think you will have some nice pics in the future. Joe

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
Here we go again:
"Hello, my name is omnicognic, and I'm a metal detecting addict!" The crowd in unison:"Hello omni!"
We the addicts welcome another member! There is no cure, just this support group! This is becoming an epidemic! ;D

OP
OP
N

Newbie1967

Thanks for all the enthusiasm and encouragement! We found another couple coins in the backyard before we went to a local school. I think the school could be a good place to spend some time but it's just so muddy right now. Did find another nickel and penny (and lots and lots of bottlecaps and pull tabs). But I look at it as "keeping the environment clean."

Happy Hunting!

Jim

R

robert_from_pa

Great to have another addict to share the disease with!

You're doing well - keep it up... pretty soon you'll be like me, hunting for 6 hours at a time, sunburnt and wore plum a$$ out... (and maybe $13.22 richer! *see other post for details*)

J

Jim Cal

Know what Jim, I would say you are off to a really good start in a fantastic hobby and one you can participate in whether you have 10 hours or 10 minutes to spare. You and your son will not only find lots of good coins, rings and other stuff but you'll also be spending time together. Good luck and welcome! Jim Cal

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Great going Jim. Your son will enjoy it too. Welcome to our world of detecting addiction. It just gets more intense from here on. Spotz

D

Darod

Way to go! Ya had fun, didn't ya :)

It's pretty cool finding money in this way, isn't it :)

Welcome to the hobby and the forum. Keep posting what ya find for all to enjoy. And thanks for sharing what you found your first time out.

Your son will enjoy as well. How old is he? Or did I miss that? I have 2 sons that are both into the detecting scene with me. They're young and enthusiastic about the hobby. One loves the detecting and the other just wants to dig the targets :) He tells me he likes to be the one that pulls it out of the ground,....I can't say that I blame him :)

Well, I'm rambling, welcome and ask if ya need help! There are many many nice peeps here that will jump right in the mix with you to figure out any problems or answer any questions,.....I'm one of them.

Take care,
Rod

OP
OP
N

Newbie1967

Thanks!

My son is six. He's excited about the hobby (not nearly as much as I am), and technically, it is "his" detector - I don't think he'll declare success until I dig up a gold coin for him. As it gets nicer (and less muddy!) out, I'll be taking him for longer treks. He does enjoy digging up the coins, but I really want to try to help him learn the technique with the MD (what little I know so far).

I'll post more as we find them! Thanks!

Jim

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
Jim, Thats a nice first and at home.lots of folks have far worse first and many to follow hunts.look forward to many more of your post and pic,s.HH

scavenger

Oct 21, 2004
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre (Soon to be teknetics T2SE)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you did good, all I found in my backyard is nails and tin, although I have found about a half dozen pennies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread